Sunday, January 23, 2011

in the land of truth, my friend, the man with one fact is the king

Today was a failure on the productivity standpoint, so let's just pretend that I intended to take the whole weekend off, shall we? The lesson I learned (or rather, relearned) is that I need to set an alarm if I intend to get anything done; otherwise, I stay in bed until noon, as happened today. When I did drag myself out of bed, I sat around until almost 2pm trying to motivate myself to write or go to the gym. The gym won, shockingly enough, and so I went there (meeting my 5x/wk goal) and did some highly inclined treadmill while watching half an hour or so of "The Return of the King." I'd been meaning to rewatch the trilogy for awhile, and I probably would have stayed to watch the whole thing, except I didn't want to do treadmill for another three hours and I needed to call my parents. So, I did some stretching, showered, came home, and talked to my parents for over an hour -- all seemed to be well with them, even if they're buried in snow and I'm sitting smug in the seventy-degree weather of Northern California.

After I got off the phone with them, I ended up seeing pretty much the same segment of "Return of the King" as I saw at the gym; the gym must be showing satellite tv on the east coast timings, because when i got home from the gym, the same channel was showing the end of "The Two Towers" instead of the part of "The Return of the King" that it should have reached. This is boring you to death, I know, so I shall spare you any more details. sssanyway, Vidya and I made impromptu plans to meet up for dinner in Santana Row, and we went to this relatively upscale Mexican restaurant, which turned into an expensive endeavor given that we each had a margarita, we split an appetizer, split two entrees, and had dessert. Also, the servers brought our appetizer and entrees at the same time, which was too bad since the appetizer was basically a big pile of melted cheese that needed to be eaten before anything else, and so our entrees were slightly cold. Still, though, it was all tasty; we split a chile relleno and this dish that tasted like a Ukrainian potato pancake covered in cheese and spices (which I saw as an upgrade, although Chandlord felt that it was a downgrade from an Indian dish called aloo tikki, which also involves potato cakes and spices).

We then walked and talked up and down the length of Santana Row before parting ways, and then I came home and spent the last hour or so reading about Mao Zedong and the Cultural Revolution (isn't that how all 29-year-olds spend their evenings?). And now, I really must go to bed; I'm setting my alarm tomorrow morning, since my days off are over until next weekend. Goodnight!

No comments: