Monday, January 10, 2011

the return of the shrimp families

This morning was v. exciting -- it was the first time I've had dim sum in months (in fact, almost a year; according to a search on zee blog, my last dim sum was on February 21 with Heather and Salim (aren't you glad I obsessively record what I eat every day?)). I met up with Tammy and Daniel at the Hong Kong Flower Lounge, which is the restaurant that defined a several-year swath of my life, and we had all the old favorites -- har gar (aka shrimp families), deep fried shrimp dumplings, deep fried shrimp wrapped in bean curd, rice noodle with pork, steamed pork buns, baked pork pastries, shrimp egg rolls, and steamed bean curd filled with shrimp (which looks disgusting, but is one of my faves). We also ordered something called 'steamed egg custard roll', which I thought was the steamed egg custard bun we used to get, but it turned out to be a thin sheet of egg custard rolled up fruit-rollup style, which infuriated Tammy and delighted Daniel.

So, a good time was had by all (or at least me), even if Tammy did managed to get a picture of me proving that I can fit my entire fist into my mouth. After we parted ways, I came home, talked to my dad, and then welcomed Terry, who is up here for one night only and currently sleeping on my couch. We chatted for a bit, I left her to her own devices while I talked to my mother, and then we chatted some more before going out for tasty Mexican food with her three siblings who are all still in the area. Then, filled up with Mexican (which is v. v. full on top of a belly full of dim sum -- Alyssa will not be happy with me), we came home, talked a bit more, watched an episode of "The Tudors" (verdict: so hot right now/five hundred years ago), talked some more, and then parted ways so she could sleep.

But, I should probably sleep too, as I have to drop her off someplace by 9:30a.m., and then I need to embark on my massive productivity kick to finish Madeleine and Ferguson's story before they die of old age. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Mahin said...

can't wait to read more of madeline and ferguson! so hot right now/so 200 years ago ;)