Monday, January 17, 2011

your heart felt good, it was dripping pitch and made of wood

I need to get to bed immediately; after the success I had last week getting up before eight a.m. (shockingly early, I know), I want to get back into that schedule rather than the slothfilled one that I kept this weekend. I did drag myself out of bed by eleven this morning, which was nothing worth bragging about, and I showered, ate some oatmeal, and considered going to Stanford library to write. But, I ultimately stayed in my own house like the hermit I sometimes am, only leaving in the evening to grab a burrito.

As it turned out, today was much, much better than yesterday, even if I did turn my ringer off to avoid any temptation to hang out with friends (not that anyone called me, sniff). But from a productivity standpoint, I felt v. good -- I wrote 10-12 pages, and typed up everything that I wrote out today and yesterday, so I'm in a great place to start the week. Now that the ending approacheth, I'm feeling really good about it; hopefully that level of confidence continues, because if it does, I should be to the end of the draft in about a week.

I did take a break in the middle of the writing to talk to my parents, since some things do ultimately have to take precedence. They were in fine form, although I'm glad I'm not there since it sounds like Iowa is bitterly cold and about to get some more snow. And, when I finished writing (around eight p.m.), I rewarded myself by watching to Golden Globes telecast that I had tivo'd. Some reward, I know -- but I am always entertained by the Golden Globes, since it's fun to guess who is drunk and who is just ridiculous. I also enjoy watching what dresses the women chose and speculating why they wore what they wore, so the show was fun even if I felt like even more of a hermit for watching a bunch of other people partying and celebrating themselves while I drank diet coke alone (but hey, drinking diet coke is practically a celebration for me, or at least my chemical-craving taste buds).

But now, the show is over, I've spent the last hour doing a combination of procrastinating (bad) and reviewing last week's progress/setting goals for this week (good), so it's time for bed.

Finally, happy one-day-belated birthday to my cousin Drewbaby -- I'm not ashamed to admit that I tend to lose track of the days now that I'm "self-employed", so I forgot that yesterday was the 15th. Happy birthday!

No comments: