Sunday, February 20, 2011

it's a little too late to say that you're sorry now

I'm utterly wiped out, but happily, I can luxuriate in my beautiful, freshly made (and built) bed. I finally shamed myself into tackling the wasteland that my bedroom had become; there were several rounds of clean laundry that were slowly becoming dirty laundry piled up on the floor, boxes that I had never unpacked from my move (nine months ago), and the bedframe and lamps that I ordered ages ago and never bothered to put together. This wasn't the project I had intended to tackle today -- instead, I thought that I was going to judge the entries that I need to judge for the Golden Heart, since scores are due in ten days. But, I took the entries with me when I went out to brunch...

...but first, lemme back up to the beginning. Adit and Chandlord both stayed over last night, and Adit left around seven to make it to the airport for his flight back to the east coast. I could hear Chandlord moving about in the living room, so I went out to say hi to her, and we ended up talking in the rainy sunshine (that's the way we roll in Cali) until she left around 8:30. I promptly went back to bed, slept until eleven, and eventually dragged myself out of bed. Deciding that I didn't want to eat anything that I currently have in my fridge, I decided to have a late brunch at Joanie's Cafe on California Ave., by which point it was raining again in earnest. And now, back to the previous paragraph...

So I took the entries with me when I went out to brunch, picked up the one that intrigued me the most based on a quick scan of the first pages of all six that I have to judge, and read about a third of it while eating a mexican scramble and warming up with some coffee. Let's just say that the entry I read did not make me look forward to judging the rest of my packet. I'm not judging my competition (I'm judging paranormal, not regency), but I'm not the world's most forgiving reader, so hopefully this entry or some of the others pick up steam.

As a result, I didn't feel like sitting around judging entries all afternoon. When I got home, I discovered that my neighbor's daughter was, for once, not occupying the garage, and so I decided to do laundry. And once I decided to do laundry, I decided to tackle the whole bedroom. So, I put together the bedframe (not the easiest task to do alone, but it turned out beautifully), put together the bedside table things that have been sitting in my trunk for the last three months (white particle board -- I went with function over form, which works for now), unpacked the lamps that go on either side of the bed, did three loads of laundry, changed the sheets on my bed, hung up everything that didn't need to be laundered (and everything that came out of the laundry), and generally tidied up.

So, after eight hours of solid effort (with a break to watch some "Jeopardy!" while eating cereal), my bedroom looks great. Unfortunately, that required trashing my living room, since I have a ton of cardboard/styrofoam that I need to recycle, but that can wait until tomorrow or Monday. I'm super excited to have lamps in my bedroom, though -- this means I can read in bed for the first time since moving in! And that, my friends, may mean that I'll never leave my bed again.

Now, I should figure out whether to go to bed, read a book, or try to do some writing -- I think I'm too mentally wiped out to write now, but I'm afraid that if I start to read something, I'll stay up too late as per usual and squander my writing time tomorrow. Decisions, decisions. Regardless of my decision, I'm signing off from the blog now -- goodnight!

No comments: