Thursday, February 17, 2011

steady as she goes

I need to go to bed immediately, particularly since I read approximately seven hundred pages today (and wrote zero - not that I'm regretting it, since I'm high off the pleasure of others' storytelling). My day was a glorious wash; I made it into the gym in time to do cardio and shower before doing a stretching session with Art, who abused my muscles in an effort to get them behaving like normal-people muscles instead of cripple-muscles. Then, I came home, ate a v. belated lunch, finished the book I started last night, and then contemplated writing. But first, I decided to make dinner -- a beef and portobello mushroom stew from the cookbook my parents gave me for Christmas, to which I added an underlying foundation of mashed potatoes. The stew turned out excellently, although it would have been just a touch better if the beef had been fresh instead of slightly freezer-burned.

I intended to write after dinner, but Adit called while I was cooking to inform me that he was coming over. I'd already poured one glass of wine to drink with my stew (since wine was an ingredient in the stew and I didn't want to totally waste the rest of it), but after surviving an hour with Adit, I certainly needed another one. It was good to see him, and I'm looking forward to having him back in the area permanently. But let's just say that after he said "your hair looks better; what did you do to it?", I was definitely in need of the sweet elixer of alcohol -- because what I did to it was pull it into a ponytail mess while it was still sopping wet at the gym and pull my bangs over the top of my hair with barrettes to keep it out of my face, since I didn't have time to dry any of it between cardio and my stretching session with Art. I find it hard to believe that my disheveled, bangless look is better than when it's been properly dried, but apparently I am wrong.

So anyway, Adit eventually took his leave, and since I was pleasantly warmed by the delightful combination of wine and rage, I decided to read another book. Kresley Cole's DREAMS OF A DARK WARRIOR released yesterday and arrived on my doorstep the same day because I'd preordered it months ago -- she's the only writer I'm currently preordering with such dedication. I should have written tonight, but I couldn't put it off any longer, and of course I read the entire 500-page book in one sitting. This is one I may have to go back to and savor again another time; the hero in this book was the villain in the last one, and I didn't see how she was going to redeem him, but she managed it. And, there was enough information about other things going on in the series (this one is number nine, I believe) that I'm now desperate for the next one. I love books like that, and can only hope that someday I'll write them myself.

But, that requires, you know, writing, and I suppose that requires that I get some sleep so that I can accomplish something tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: