Monday, February 21, 2011

you're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul

I've got v. little of interest to report today, but skipping a post won't help me to get to a million words on my blog, so I'll try to bang out something. As you may have guessed, I didn't just go to bed last night; I picked up a book, and of course stayed up and finished it, so I didn't go to sleep until after two a.m. Sadly, the book was not particularly satisfying -- it had a fallen angel theme that could have been interesting, but there was something just a little bit off about the storytelling that I couldn't put my finger on. Also, while sex scenes in romance novels are absurdly perfect (I usually just suspend disbelief and roll with it), apparently fallen angels wrap their wings around you when it's all over, which I found difficult to a) appreciate, even though perhaps it would be like a nice down comforter and b) understand, since the dude wasn't walking around with wings, they just sort of magically appear out of nowhere whenever he wants to fly or wrap a girl up in them.

But I can't go on about this any longer or I'll make myself seem even weirder than you already know I am. Needless to say, I didn't get out of bed until almost noon -- but luxuriating in my wonderful bed was worth all the work of yesterday. I showered, made myself some eggs and toast for breakfast (eggs over easy with toast are one of life's simplest, wonderfulest pleasures), procrastinated for a couple of hours, and then called my parents, who had remarkably little to report (no weather disasters, no deaths, no animal disappearances -- quite boring, really). Then, I wrote three pages of zee romance novel, which positions me to potentially (gasp) finish it off tomorrow and start revisions in earnest.

I didn't attempt to finish it tonight, though; instead, I went to San Jose to have dinner at Heather (aka dear respected madam) and Salim's new place (and by new I mean they bought it six months ago, but I hadn't been there before). I had a fantastic time; their place is lovely, even if it's not fully put together yet, and they made a feast fit for a carnivore. Basically, I just had steak and salmon with a few roasted tomatoes for vegetable propriety. Dessert was blueberries and cool whip (Heather is a midwesterner too, so things like cool whip aren't anathema to her). Heather and I caught up on books and life while Salim was out grilling, and then the three of us ate together and reminisced about India, etc. After dinner, we retired to the living room and watched some television, which was just fine by me, and I left sometime after eleven. Then I came home and lost myself in a wikipedia rabbit hole for a couple of hours, and now that I've escaped, I need to go to bed before I get sucked in again. Goodnight!

No comments: