Tuesday, March 01, 2011

but if you feel like i feel, i got the antidote

The editing is still going strong, despite some major procrastination that I engaged in tonight; I knew as I was doing it that I was procrastinating because I was afraid of what the next few scenes held, and I was right to be afraid, since it took me two hours to edit/rewrite six pages (three pages and hour is substantially slower than the 10-15 I was averaging while working on the first half of the book). But, since this is the part of the book that is almost entirely rough, never-been-edited draft, I'm not surprised -- just daunted.

I must have needed to recover from the editing extravaganza, because I ended up sleeping until almost noon. Oops. I did manage to drag myself out of bed and into the shower, but I failed to go to the gym. And since I had no food in the house, I went out for lunch, and spent a couple of hours at Joanie's and then Starbucks editing a long scene that serves as the midpoint climax (in the 'peak of the action' sense, not the 'orgasm' sense, although there are a few of the other kind of climax right before the midpoint, if you get my drift). Then, I went to Trader Joe's and bought some groceries to tide me over, came home, unloaded the dishwasher, did a bunch of dishes, made myself a big pot of russian blend tea (which is v. smoky and dark, the kind of stuff you could imagine yourself drinking in Siberia if you were stationed there as a gulag guard who actually got to drink tea, rather than a gulag inmate who had to make do with mud), and settled in at my desk...

...where I proceeded to procrastinate. However, at least some of my procrastination was worthwhile; I wrote two posts for zee romance blog, one for today and one to be published on Wednesday. The one today is all about how much servants made during the Regency period (hint: not much), and the fact that if I can't have a servant, I really want to buy this absurdly expensive teamaker that has automatic start functionality, keep-warm ability, and a whole range of temperatures and steeping times so that you can brew the perfect cup of looseleaf tea. Basically, the autostart and the keep-warm function are common features on any $25 coffeepot, but I can't use a coffeepot with looseleaf tea because the tea has to steep, and dripping water through it won't cut it. And there are precious few teamakers on the market because Americans are barbarians who are fine drinking teabags. But I won't say anymore here; you can read zee romance blog if you're curious (which I know you aren't, and that's okay).

But after doing some blogging and having some fun on twitter, I finally sat down and edited for another couple of hours, and managed to turn a scene I was about to cut into a little gem that serves multiple purposes at this point in the plot. Yay me. And now, I'm going to go to bed; I have to meet Alyssa for a training session tomorrow morning, and while I have precious few illusions about the likelihood of me getting up to edit before I see her, I can at least pretend that I will. Goodnight!

No comments: