Saturday, March 12, 2011

so go on if it'll make you happier

Today started off fun and ended in a morass of research, trivialities, and extreme displeasure with my writing. Actually, today started off not-so-fun, since I was catching up on the Japan quake/tsunami; I saw the breaking news right as I went to bed last night, so I was aware that it had happened, but the news reports were pretty devastating. Just so all non-Californians know for future reference (since I got a call from my sister while I was showering), either a) I would have to be totally stupid and go to the beach to seek out the tsunami, or b) the tsunami would have to be an end-of-the-world event to hit Palo Alto, since we're separated from the Pacific by the Santa Cruz mountains (~1500ft elevation).

Anyway, I had lunch plans with Heather (aka dear respected madam), whose birthday is tomorrow. She took today off from work since she's going to Indiana tomorrow (she's a good midwesterner like I am), and I met up with her and Salim at Santana Row. We had a long lunch at Left Bank, where Salim and I apparently infuriated the old woman sitting next too us by laughing too boisterously (Heather noticed this; I was completely oblivious). Then, we went to Borders since it's one of the stores that is closing soon, and Heather and I gorged on romance novels; I bought like fourteen books at 40% off, plus 10% off from my Borders Rewards membership, which was a great deal. She bought a similarly high number, and Salim went a little crazy as well. Even though it was Friday at 3pm, the line was probably fifteen people long when we got in it, and the clerk said that weekends have been totally crazy. She also said that they had to close the bathrooms because people were ripping stuff off the walls and urinating everywhere, which made no sense to me. It's too bad they weren't so busy before they started putting everything on sale -- I mean, it's a good sign that people are lured in to buy books, but not a good sign that they had to discount the entire store first.

So after spending three hours with them, I came home and proceeded to halfheartedly work on zee romance novel, with a break for a nap. I was too stressed about it and desirous of productivity to go out tonight, since I've gone out every night this week, and so I skipped Timmy's birthday party to stay in and work. I made some progress, but not as much as I would have liked -- however, tomorrow is another day. I have to go to Berkeley in the morning for a romance writers meeting, so I should probably go to bed immediately -- getting up at 7 is going to be painful enough already. Goodnight!

No comments: