Monday, March 14, 2011

the taxman cometh

It's only 10:30, which means it is only 9:30 according to the old daylight unsaved time, but I think I'm going to go to bed. I had a v. long, productive day, starting with an eight a.m. alarm so that I could get up and out of the house in time to get new tires. Getting the tires was quite unremarkable; they installed them in less than half an hour, during which time I successfully edited a chapter of my book. I went straight from the tire place to the gym, where I did a desultory workout and ate a salad. Then, I went to Starbucks, where I edited for several hours amongst the various Stanford kids who are in the midst of finals week.

When I got home, though, I had to finish gathering my tax documentation since I'm meeting with my CPA tomorrow. This took hours and hours, with a long break to talk to someone from my former company who wanted some advice. The problem is that I was v. disorganized with my receipts this year, and so I had to locate all of them, print out stuff that had been saved as online confirmations, and enter them into the tracking spreadsheet. Theoretically I keep a running spreadsheet all year, but I hadn't entered a single thing into that spreadsheet until today -- oops. Fifty-some receipts later, I have the full list of deductions, and I also have all the W-2s, 1099s, 1098s, etc. that I need to submit.

So while I'm pleased that I'm done, it wasn't good for zee writing; I didn't finish until 7:30, and by the time I went out and grabbed a sandwich (my grocery situation is beyond dire), I couldn't bear to look at the manuscript tonight. Instead, I did some desultory wikipedia research, and now I'm going to sleep so that I can get up and edit tomorrow (preferably before my training session with Alyssa -- but since all I have for tomorrow are her and the CPA immediately afterward, I have all the rest of the day to work). Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude this is such a boring post. can't you come up with something better?
- gunter vamfler