Friday, March 11, 2011

what are you waiting for? take a bite of my heart tonight

I probably should have written tonight after dinner, but I'm back at the point in my process where I need to create new content (two or three additional scenes to flesh out the final bits of the book), and my brain is skittering around the edges of it, hopefully writing in my subconsciousness while my consciousness is doing all it can to avoid the task. Luckily I recognize this for what it is, and so just gave into the urge to read a book tonight rather than force myself to write something I'm not ready to touch. But, I'm going to bed now so that I can get up and write before lunch (so diligent to get up before nine, I know), so hopefully I'll knock off the rest of it this weekend.

The day wasn't all lost, though. I made it into the gym for my training session with Alyssa, and since she's upped the intensity of my workouts this week, everything is sore. I did a wee bit of cardio after we wrapped up, showered, grabbed a salad, came home, and worked off and on all afternoon, with a break for a nap somewhere in there. I took care of a lot of little things with my manuscript, like certain formatting issues, chronology checking to make sure that every scene happens on the right date, grammar checking for the few verb conjugations I wasn't 100% sure of, etc. It's all necessary, even if I probably need to buckle down and write those scenes more than I need to make sure that all my double-hyphens are properly turned into em-dashes.

But, I finally threw in the towel around 6:15 and drove to Mountain View to meet John, Jess and Chandlord for a Blood of Lincoln festivity at a Sri Lankan restaurant that we had never been to before. We were going to go to Taste Buds, but Chandlord suggested this place and I seconded because I wanted more protein than Taste Buds typically provides. As it turns out, the choice was inspired; the food was all really good, particularly this Sri Lankan fish curry that was one of the best curries I've had in awhile. Everything else we had was straight up Indian, but it was all tasty. Chandlord was uncharacteristically late, but we had fun until she showed up, and then we somehow managed to keep having a good time despite her presence. As usual, I can't recount anything that we talked about since the jhokes will be lost on you, but it was certainly entertaining.

After two hours there, though, it was time to come home, and when I got here I took one look at my manuscript before picking up my Kindle instead. And now, it's time for bed; I have both lunch and dinner plans tomorrow, and I need to get some writing done in between, so sleep cannot be denied. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Mahin said...

I love Sri Lankan food and have been waiting for a restaurant to open up! What's the name of it?

Sara said...

Spicy Leaves in Mountain View - http://www.spicyleaves.com/

I'd say it's more Indian than Sri Lankan, but everything we had was really good!