Thursday, March 31, 2011

young money thieves steal your love and leave

Today was utterly awesome - exactly the kind of day that someone who is self-employed can have if they don't intend to get a lot done. I didn't make it to the gym this morning, since I decided to sleep until eight instead, but I did make it up to the evil city in time to get a facial at the fancy-schmancy spa that I keep intending to cancel my membership to. I was all prepared to cancel today - but after spending some quality time soaking in the jacuzzi, then getting a fantastic facial, I paid my bill and left before debating canceling again. I can always cancel next month, right?

After the spa, I proceeded down the street to Samovar, my favorite afternoon experience in the world, where I wrote for a couple of hours while lingering over quiche and masala chai, followed by a pot of bai mudan white tea. One of the biggest reasons to go to the city today, of all days, was that I was out of Samovar's loose leaf English Breakfast tea - I live on the stuff at home, and am now too spoiled to go back to bagged swill. So, I got three packages of English Breakfast and a package of bai mudan; the combined tea should last me about three months. Yay. I also caught up with the waitress who always serves me (she knows what I order, and she now kisses me on the cheek when I walk in - I have arrived). And, most importantly, I figured out some key details of the plot for the next book - I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to knock out the synopsis tomorrow and get it to my agent by Friday as promised.

I left the evil city a little after three to beat traffic, came home, and researched synopses online to make sure I'm prepared. Then, I went to dinner at Fiesta del Mar with the Heathers - Heather #1 = dear respected madam, and Heather #2 = the girl (woman) I managed when she, Pete and I used to have margaritas and pie. We discussed all sorts of subjects, including hair, weddings, work, and the fact that the public seems willing to forgive people of anything (including domestic violence and rape/sexual harassment - see Chris Brown/Charlie Sheen and a substantial number of professional athletes), but can't forgive anyone who hurts a dog (see Michael Vick and people still calling for his execution even though he went to prison, unlike Chris Brown). Now, I'm not saying at all that what Michael Vick did should be condoned or forgiven, but it does seem a bit odd that he's vilified more than someone who beat the shit out of their girlfriend. The reason this came up is because as I was walking in San Francisco today, I overheard some girl talking to her friend about how her dog needs surgery, and it's going to be super expensive, "but luckily, my boyfriend's dad died last summer, and so the life insurance money can pay for it". Ah, priorities.

And now that I've probably alienated a whole bunch of people, I shall move on. After dinner, I came home and painted my nails while watching the "Top Chef: All Stars" finale. I'll miss this season - it was really a great one. But since it's over, I should really go to bed; I have to train with Alyssa tomorrow, and possibly have coffee with some people, and then write my synopsis before it kills me. Goodnight!

No comments: