Friday, April 08, 2011

days of sloth and roses

Or rather, just days of sloth. After staying up until almost three a.m. and then sleeping poorly, I did not enjoy rolling myself out of bed and into my sneakers, but I still made it to the gym in time to train with Alyssa. Our training session was not perfectly smooth, mostly because my muscles were still rebelling from whatever had caused them to rebel on Tuesday -- and I suspect that the rebellion is fed by my curled-up, deathlike fetal pose on the couch when I lie motionless for hours and read books. It can't be good for my neck, or my back, or my legs, or my eyesight...and yet there is something so appealing about losing myself in a book, diving headlong into it and getting so swept away that I fail to notice the painful contortions of my body, or my thirst, or my contacts adhering to my dry, unblinking eyes.

Needless to say, I did it again tonight, but I'll get to that in a moment. After I worked out with Alyssa, I had a stretching session with Art, which helped -- he's a giant of a man, though, and I have a feeling that the backs of my calves are bruised from his exertions. Then, I showered, ate lunch, got gas, went to Whole Foods, came home, and took a nap. After I woke up, I made a snack, and decided to allow myself to read three chapters of the next book in the series I started last night (called SILENT IN THE SANCTUARY, which I already had on my shelves because I'd gotten it for free at a romance conference a couple of years ago)...

...and of course I read the whole book in one fell swoop. Or rather, two fell swoops, with a break for supper; I actually made white chili, which shows that I'm being particularly disciplined this week, since I'm following Alyssa's instructions rather than making myself frozen enchiladas as a time-saver. The book was awesome, but now I'm on an enforced hiatus; there are two more in the series, but I don't have them, and I would rather get them in paperback than download the ebook. That means either ordering them now from Amazon and not getting them until Monday, or swinging by the Barnes and Noble in Emeryville on Saturday (since they're both in stock there). It's probably a good thing I don't have them, though, since I have stuff that needs to get done tomorrow, and my will is apparently too weak to resist these books.

So tomorrow, I'm training with Alyssa again, and then I'm finishing my submission materials for my agent and working on some stuff for the romance conference awards ceremony. And then, perhaps, I shall write -- but we shall see what we shall see. Goodnight!

No comments: