Wednesday, April 13, 2011

everything that keeps me together is falling apart

The title is not a particularly accurate description of my day, but I was listening to the song it comes from ("Third Planet" by Modest Mouse) and couldn't think of anything better to say. I alternated between productivity and sloth today; getting started with the book is tres difficile, and I'm struggling to get into it. I did manage to write five pages today, which means the book is now five pages long -- hurrah.

First, though, I went to the gym, where Alyssa devised new and ingenious methods to torture me. I then grabbed lunch at Joanie's Cafe, where I learned (after asking, since I've always been curious) that Joanie's Cafe was started 25 years ago by a woman named Joanie and her husband Bernard. They later started Cafe Brioche next door, and apparently some of the wait staff works at both restaurants. But, about ten years ago, they got divorced; Joanie kept Cafe Brioche, and Bernard kept Joanie's. Apparently they're on good terms and Joanie often comes in for coffee, but I found that all quite a fascinating little bit of history.

After lunch, I came home and took a nap, then went back to the gym and got a massage; my shoulders have been bothering me since I hunch over a laptop or book for approximately 14 hours a day, and Alyssa recommends one of the masseuses there (who was quite wonderful). Then I went to Starbucks and wrote for a bit before bringing my iced tea home and continuing to struggle with the written word. Over many fits and starts I accumulated my five pages; it should have been ten, and I'm going to have to make it up tomorrow, but I ended up abandoning it to write a couple of posts for zee romance blog (including a post about a wonderful dress that I found and sadly will not be buying for the awards ceremony in NYC). And now, I think I shall go to bed; I need to write fifteen pages tomorrow to get back on track, so I think I'll go over to Stanford library and be a good girl. Goodnight!

No comments: