Saturday, April 30, 2011

god save the queen

Today was a lovely day, but I'm still in Denver; upon waking up exhausted and realizing that I had neither the physical nor the emotional stamina to fly back to California tonight, attend a funeral, and then return directly to Denver, I canceled my flight. Luckily, I had booked on Southwest and so got a full credit to use on a future flight, and Katie and James seemed willing to put up with me for an extra night and day. We took our time getting ready this morning, and then went to the Denver Four Seasons for their supposed royal wedding coverage. They were just playing whatever was on Lifetime, which wasn't the wedding -- at that point in the afternoon, it was just endless mild gossip about the royal family. But, it was still totally fun -- they were serving English pub fare, and my bangers and mash were fantastic. I had two drinks that they were calling a 'british baby' -- vodka, champagne and passionfruit, which is apparently Will and Kate's favorite drink (although a bit of research says that the drink is called a 'crack baby' at the club they frequent in London). As any longtime reader of this blog knows, champagne cocktails are my especial weakness, and my fondness for them knows no bounds. And luckily, all our drinks were free; the bartender accidentally spilled Katie's drink, miraculously missing our dresses but getting a bit on James, and the dude was so embarrassed that he comped our libations. Score!

After a couple of hours at the bar, we walked around a few blocks of downtown Denver, came home, lazed about, changed into something more appropriate for the rapidly falling temperatures, and walked down to this restaurant called Root Down. We got there at 4:30, just in time for happy hour to start, and were barely able to find seats at the bar, but luckily we scored a table for three and proceeded to eat, drink and be merry. The food was on par with any foodie establishment in San Francisco; I had a carrot and red thai curry soup that was out of this world good, and a small plate of two diver scallops with a plantain hash that was amazing as well. We also split some sweet potato fries, and I had another cocktail (blood orange caipirinha) and a glass of red wine. Appropriately soused by six p.m., we walked home and watched 3.5 hours of royal wedding footage that James had thoughtfully tivo'd. I didn't cry, but I did think that Kate's dress was absolutely perfect, and I liked the service quite a bit. Of course, the news commentators were mostly annoying, and they were calling her a princess afterwards even though she's a duchess rather than a princess, but other than that I thought it was great. And then we watched some sitcoms and some ridiculous ninja/gladiator competition from Japan before realizing we all needed to go to sleep.

So, I'm glad that I stayed in Denver -- it's been great to see Katie and James for the first time since that epic evening in Iowa with Adit, Omar and my family last 4th of July, and I'm quite enjoying the laid-back nature of our plans. Tomorrow we intend to do nothing more than shop, eat, and possibly see a terrible movie -- I can't wait. Goodnight!

No comments: