Monday, May 23, 2011

baby you're a firework

I had a lovely day, made more lovely by friends and less lovely by my lack of productivity. I managed to drag myself out of bed, into the shower, and up to the evil city before noon, which is an indication of how eager I was to see Chandlord. And when I arrived, I received an even more rare and lovely treat -- in the form of Adit (some people call him the cat), who has been staying with Chandlord for an unclear amount of time, and accompanied us to brunch. As is usual with the three of us, choosing a place was a mild disaster, but as we didn't end up drunk and vomiting outside of an Olive Garden, I'll consider today a victory.

Adit suggested that we go over to Ocean Beach and have brunch at someplace called Outer Lands. Chandlord and I ratified this plan, and we got into Katrina's car (which Adit has stolen) and drove to the west side of the city. The length of the drive reminded me why I never went to Ocean Beach when I was living in the evil city -- but apparently other people go there, since when we showed up at Outer Lands, we discovered that the wait for a table was an hour and forty-five minutes. Calling bullshit on that, we got back in the car, circled around the area, then went to the Inner Richmond and took our chances on a restaurant found via Yelp on our smartphones -- Clement Street Bar and Grill. It was unlike just about any other restaurant I've been to in San Francisco in terms of decor, which I can't quite explain -- sort of like a Buca di Beppo, with high booths and some kitschy decorations, but clearly not a chain. And, there were tablecloths. And, the brunch entrees all included champagne, or a mimosa, or orange juice, with a breadbasket split amongst the table. And, rather than little packets of jam, there was a big bowl of half-eaten jam chilling (or rather, room temperaturing) on the table when we sat down.

But, the food was awesome. I had crab cake benedict, which was outstanding, and Adit and Chandlord both seemed to think that their wild mushroom omelettes were fluffy and delicious. The champagne was v. generously poured, and I was able to get a diet coke on the side to feed my addiction. And, I got to catch up with two of my favorite people (or at least two of my favorite Indians, Ritu Rani notwithstanding) over a leisurely brunch, so I was quite satisfied.

After brunch, Adit had to work, so Chandlord and I ventured out again into the evil city and had coffee. Then, I drove home, driven out of the city at a rather rushed pace when Adit reminded me that there was a baseball game (SF Giants vs. Oakland As, which means double the local traffic) currently at the top of the eighth, which meant I needed to escape the city immediately or be trapped there forever. Once I got home, I talked to my parents, procrastinated a bit, ate some supper, and decided to read a book. I got halfway through a historical (which is totally ridiculous -- an English governess is kidnapped by the bastard son of a viscount who just happens to be the secret heir to a Basque-like kingdom and is leading a rebellion to claim his throne), and while I enjoyed the ridiculousness, I managed to put it down so that I can go to bed. I have a busyish (for me) day tomorrow, since I need to go to the gym, I have a meeting with someone at the gym who was recommended by Alyssa to discuss nutrition (more tomorrow, but all signs point toward him recommending that I eat basically the exact opposite of what I've been eating recently, and by that I mean the exact opposite of chicken and salad, not the exact opposite of the McDonald's meals I was eating on the road), and I have dinner plans. Somewhere in there, I need to write -- Ellie and Nick aren't writing themselves, lazy bastards that they are. Goodnight!

No comments: