Wednesday, June 01, 2011

close your eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord

Today was lovely - I didn't write a damn thing, but I accomplished enough in other areas of my life to end the day feeling satisfied. I got up in time to have bacon and oatmeal for breakfast before going into the gym and training with Alyssa. Since I had trained with her yesterday, today's session was primarily focused on stretching and cardio to make sure that my body doesn't spontaneously self-destruct. In today's little bit of good news, my heart rate is recovering (slowing down) much faster during the rest periods between cardio routines than it did when I first started, which is kind of cool to see. I have tomorrow off from the gym, but if I focus on cleaning out my garage, it won't really feel like I'm being sedentary - which I suppose is a good thing.

After I showered, I sat in my car and had a twenty-minute conversation with the owners of the condo that Terry and I are attempting to rent. They previously lived in the unit and vacated it only because they had a child and wanted to give him more outdoor space to play in, and since they love it and put a lot of work into it, they're understandably paranoid about prospective renters. Luckily, Terry and I are probably two of the most exacting people you will ever meet when it comes to paying bills on time and generally being on top of things like leases, and we're also both good at talking to people and putting them at ease. They'd talked to Terry just before they talked to me, and even though I'm a writer with no income, they still decided to give it to us. At least it was clear that I have a reasonably pragmatic plan (at least as pragmatic as it's possible to be when one leaves a great job to write romance novels), so they didn't seem to have any qualms about that. It probably helps that I live in one of the only areas in the country where it's not only accepted to be 'funemployed', but is almost a badge of honor - I have a feeling that renting a place with no discernable income would be a bit more difficult in other cities.

Anyway, after I got off the phone with them (and they were lovely, btw), I went to Joanie's to grab lunch. My original plan was to go up to the city early and have lunch at Samovar, my favorite place ever, but none of their items fit with my new protein regime, so I had a Cobb salad at Joanie's instead. Then, I took care of a few tings via the free wireless at Starbucks before driving up to the evil city for a facial. The facial was so awesome that I once again failed to cancel my spa membership - I swear I will one of these days.

Post-facial, I showered to get all the massage lotion out of my hair, then blowdried it, made myself up, and browsed in the mall for an hour. Then, I walked down the block to Amber India (the only Indian restaurant I've ever been to that actually felt chic and posh), where I met up with my long-lost friend Lauren (aka Subz). Lauren finished business school last month and is back in San Francisco permanently, which is awesome news for me (and for her too, I presume). Her boyfriend Nathan (with whom I shared a v. memorable trip to Berlin and Amsterdam oh so many years ago) recently bought a house near the Presidio, which is not so far from the apartment Terry and I are likely moving into, and so I'm looking forward to hanging out with them much more in the coming months.

It was fantastic to see Lauren; I hadn't seen her in over a year, and yet it felt like we hadn't missed a week. Granted, it probably helps that she's read my blog occasionally during that time - it never ceases to amuse me how my long-lost friends seem to know what I've been up to even when I haven't spoken to them in months. But anyway, it's always a wonderful feeling to pick back up right where you left off, and that definitely happened tonight. We caught up over a long dinner at Amber, and Nathan showed up at the end of it to say hi. He hadn't eaten yet, so we adjourned across the alley to Press Club, which is a fancy basement bar. They make it feel members only by taking your credit card at the top and giving you a 'press pass', which the waiter charges your orders to. I didn't have a drink, since I was preparing for the drive home, but the winelist looked good and Nathan's snacky snacks also appeared to be delicious.

We wrapped up there around nine p.m., and then I drove back down to the glorious south bay and caught up on romance email and other tasks for the past couple of hours. And now, I should probably go to bed; if I'm moving in a couple of weeks, I need to start weeding through stuff and making sure I maximize my trash/recycling pickups so that I don't have too much stuff to dispose of in other ways at the end of it. I suppose I could do my tried-and-true tactic from moves I made in the south bay in the past, which is take stuff to Stanford campus and dump it in the FloMo dumpster, but I'd rather be an adult. Or not. Either way, I have a lot to do tomorrow, so goodnight!

No comments: