Tuesday, May 24, 2011

i cry tear drops over the massive attack

I don't quite know what to say about today, so perhaps I shall keep this brief. I woke up stressing about the book, agonizing over the silence of my phone, and so didn't get anything done until around lunchtime (when all I had to eat were scrambled eggs; I need to go grocery shopping). But, I finally dragged myself to the gym and purged my thoughts on the elliptical. Then, I met with a trainer who is not Alyssa -- Alyssa recommended that I do this test that facilitates and meet with him to discuss the right nutritional approach for my body. It was all quite interesting; according to the test (which was a v. comprehensive quiz I took online last week), my metabolic makeup means that I should be eating a lot of protein, more fat, and less carbs. Of that protein, it should be mostly red meat. All of this is exactly the opposite of what I've been eating (or trying to eat, when I'm following Alyssa's instructions and not eating whatever I want, like I did tonight), since I've been living off of chicken breast and cheerios.

I'm going to give it a try for the next month, although the idea of getting up and eating meat for breakfast doesn't sound all that appealing right now. But I do notice that I tend to get hungry faster if I've eaten mostly carbs during the previous meal, and carbs are certainly my downfall when I go out. And if I'm allowed to eat all the liver I want, I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose weight, since I don't want to let any liver cross my lips. So, we shall see; if nothing else, you can look forward to being amused at my attempts to figure out where to get elk and wild game if I get sick of eating steak.

After the gym, I went to Starbucks and spent an hour writing a guest blog post for the romance blog that I'm part of. Then, I met up with Jenni for dinner at Bodeguita del Medio. It was the first time I'd seen her since I went over to her parents' house when I heard that her fiance died last month, and it was really good to see her. We ended up lingering for two and a half hours, discussing life and catching up on everything that's happened since the last time I saw her. I won't dwell on that here, but I was happy to see that she seems to be holding up about as well as anyone in her position could be expected to.

Since we shared appetizer plates and dessert (empanadas, shrimp/corn fritters, cheese cubes, and then some awesome caramelized bananas with ice cream), and since I had two drinks, it's little wonder that I came home with no desire to do any more work. I made sure that the post I wrote went live appropriately, and then I spent the rest of the evening reading one of my favorite books (SUNSHINE by Robin McKinley). I practically know some scenes by heart, but sometimes I want the comfort of reading something I know rather than learning something new. And now, I should really go to sleep so that I can get up and eat something appropriately protein-y before training with Alyssa. Goodnight!

No comments: