Tuesday, May 31, 2011

it's supernatural, extraterrestrial

Today was lovely - gym, friends, and errands apparently add up to perfection. I woke up sometime around nine and still managed to be almost late to my 11:30am training session with Alyssa, since my aversion to mornings is astonishing. But, at least I got some stuff done this morning before going in, and I also made myself some oatmeal and bacon beforehand, which fueled me through her tortures. Luckily, I'm not nearly as sore as I was when I came back from my roadtrip two weeks ago, and the differences between when I started with here and now are marked (even if I am still awkward at some of the more ridiculous exercises she has me do - at least today didn't involve the exercise where I manage to hit myself in the face with a 6-pound ball more times than I care to admit).

After she and I finished, I showered and dolled myself up, then went to downtown Palo Alto to a) buy a pie and b) pick up Adit (some people call him the cat) from the train that carried him down from the evil city. Adit strolled up to Whole Foods at the same time that I did, and we bought a marionberry pie (special for all the crack cocaine, and +5 points if you get the political reference). Then, we went to Menlo Park for a barbecue hosted by Chris (aka Boyd) and Connie. I hadn't seen either of them in months, even though I live ten minutes from them; since Chris is in finance and Connie is doing a medical residency, I'm guessing they probably haven't seen each other much either. Adit and I were the first ones there, and spent a v. chill 45mins or so chatting with Chris and Connie on their patio while snacking and waiting for the other guests to arrive. Eventually, as people started rolling in, Chris started grilling, and he made some awesome hamburgers w/onions and jalapenos to go with Connie's caesar salad, potato salad, and other treats.

So, I got to see some of my earliest, oldest college friends; Oniel (aka Fauxneil) and his girlfriend Katie (aka Kathryn) showed up, and it's clear that I haven't seen them in awhile since I didn't know that she was seven months pregnant - shocker. John and Jess also came, as did some other people I usually only see at Chris's (such as Bob and Felicia, who's pregnant, and Scott and Catherine, who's also pregnant). Adit had to go back to the evil city to do some work, so I took him back to the train station around 4:30, then returned to the barbecue and chilled until after six. Then, Oniel and Katie followed me to my place so that she could see the famed log cabin that Oniel had told her about, and my usual generally high level of cleanliness paid off since I wasn't embarrassed to have them show up with no warning. Then they left, and I took care of a whole bunch of stuff - talking to my dad, filling out the application for the place in the city, going to Kinko's to scan it (more trouble than you would think), and running to Target and Whole Foods to stock up on stuff.

And now, I'm off to bed; I want to write at least a little bit in the morning before I train with Alyssa, so we'll see how that plan pans out. Then, after Alyssa, I have to go up to the evil city for a facial (my life is hard) and some dinner plans. Goodnight!

No comments: