Thursday, May 05, 2011

now i'm ready for the rodeo

[editor's note: my brother doesn't like it when I blog about him, so this blog post is censored]

I got up earlier than ever in my entire life (or at least the past six months) this morning -- 6:15am is like 4:15am in California. I managed to get dressed, pack up, load my car, eat some pizza, make some tea, and get on the road by 7:45; perhaps that's not much of an accomplishment, since I was supposed to leave at seven, but as it turns out, I was right on schedule. I left about twenty minutes before my parents did and stayed twenty minutes ahead of them the whole way, only stopping for coffee in Cameron, Missouri, gas and McDonald's in Emporia, Kansas, and a bathroom break and a Mountain Dew (I am truly back in the midwest) just across the Oklahoma border. Compared to the driving I did last week, this was a cakewalk. It only took 7.5 hours to get to Stillwater, which is about four hours less than I spent in my car every day on my way from California to Iowa.

Once I got to Stillwater, my [censored] met me at his [censored], where we [censored]. I also did my makeup and straightened my hair, somehow turning myself from the slightly-deranged looking roadtrip girl into something slightly more presentable for my [censored]'s grad school awards dinner. I must have succeeded in making myself look refreshed and youthful, since someone there asked if I was older or younger than [censored], and I got carded attempting to buy wine. Ha. My parents showed up an hour later, since they stopped at their hotel to change, and we all went to the grad school awards dinner.

Sadly, we were ten minutes earlier than the originally stated start time, and it ended up starting about an hour late. Happily, this rudeness and lack of punctuality didn't give my mother a stroke, and it did give me a chance to catch up on Twitter. I also got to meet some of [censored]'s friends from his program, who were all quite lovely. And, [censored] got inducted into [censored] in recognition of his academic achievements, which was nice to see. They also served a pretty awesome slab of beef with barbecue sauce and some mashed potatoes and gravy, and my wine was v. generous. This made me sleepy on the drive back to [censored], but I've stayed up watching some "Family Guy" with [censored] until now.

And now, I should probably go to bed; graduation is tomorrow night, and I may try to do some writing tomorrow if I can get my act together. Or, more likely, I will sit around and [censored]. Goodnight!

No comments: