Monday, June 27, 2011

dancing in the moonlight

I'm blogging on my phone again, which means that I need to limit my words so I don't destroy my typing thumb. I had a lovely unofficial first day of the conference - I slept until nine, showered and got all made up, unpacked, and managed to grab a latte to wake myself up before meeting Ritu and Steph for lunch.

The destination was Del Postoperative, an absurdly fancy restaurant owned by Mario Batali, where multiple waiters see to your every whim and most menu items have to be explained to the huddled masses (like me). But, they have a reasonably priced set lunch menu with an appetizer, entrees and dessert of choice, so Ritu got us a reservation. We all thought it was splendid; I had an interesting sausage and lentil dish to start, followed by a seafood stew thing that I can't adequately describe but was out of this world in terms of flavor, and a tartufo dessert (hard shell of chocolate filled with a coffee flavored mousse). It was all outstanding and was a perfect way to bid Steph and Ritu goodbye.

After, I came back to the hotel, had a glass of champagne in the lobby bar, and met with my agent. We talked for an hour, and it was all quite positive; she loves my book and my writing and is confident we'll find a home for it somewhere, so that was good. We also talked a lot of industry shop, which I am fascinated by, so it was all great. Then, I had another cocktail (theme of the week), came up and called my parents, went out to dinner with fifteen of this year's finalists (which was truly lovely, but I'm too sick of thumb typing to tell you more), and am now going to bed. My retreat starts at 9:30 tomorrow and I need to squeeze some work in before that, so sleep is imperative. Goodnight!

No comments: