Saturday, June 18, 2011

excuse me, you're a hell of a guy

I'm way too tired to still be up and blogging -- the combination of wine and pasta will do that to me, apparently, since there wasn't nearly enough meat in my day to compensate for my Italian dinner. But, I shall persevere, since I sure would hate to disappoint you by failing to recount the mundanities of my daily life!

I made it out of bed, into my car, and down the peninsula in time for my ten a.m. appointment with Alyssa. We discussed life and watched "House" while working out, which is our usual Friday ritual. Then, I grabbed a quick lunch at Chipotle before going to zee log cabin to continue cleaning it out. I managed to get the rocking chair, my desk chair, and two of the patio chairs into my rav4, in addition to two bags of foodstuffs, a six-pack of wine, my bulletin boards, etc. I also cleaned the bathroom, emptied the last remnants of all of my closets, and sorted through everything in my pantry. So, the last things left down there are to pack up the rest of my food, clean the kitchen counters, swiffer everything, grab the last four patio chairs and the last little bits of stuff, and take care of the massive pile of detritus in the garage. To that end, I'm running out of the time before the romance conference and need to start focusing on what I'm doing there and who I need to meet up with, so I've got the junk people coming tomorrow afternoon to remove said detritus from the garage so that I can move on with my life.

I drove back to the city and ran into precisely the traffic that made me leave here to begin with, but c'est la vie. When I got to my apartment, I unloaded all the chairs, and then promptly hightailed it back downtown to get my hair cut. I had neither the time nor the desire to do this today, but it was my last chance before leaving for NYC next week, and I need to do some serious personal grooming before the trip so that I don't look like a troll (I've got an eyebrow waxing appointment on Tuesday and need to schedule a mani/pedi to repair my move-ravaged nails). But, it was good to see my hairdresser; this is the first time I've ever seen the same person regularly, but I've been seeing her for a couple of years now, and I love her. We didn't change anything drastically since I need to be recognizable to the romance community (which means long hair, since that's what's in my headshots), but maybe I'll go short again later this year? Or maybe not; right now, the need for chaos has been served by moving, but I'm sure I'll be feeling the hair-chopping urge in a few months.

On the way back to the apartment, I kidnapped Chandlord and brought her to the evil Marina. She examined our new place and pronounced her approval, and then she, Terry and I walked up the street in search of a restaurant. We basically stopped at the first one we found, exactly one block away -- an Italian place called Pane e Vino. A lovely time was had by all (or at least by me; after my second glass of wine, it doesn't quite register whether others are having a lovely time or not, but we shall pretend that they were for my sake). We split a bottle of wine, I loved my pasta dish (tagliarelle/egg noodles with chicken and mushrooms in a tomato cream sauce -- not Bart/Alyssa approved), and then we split two desserts between the three of us (a good tiramisu and an excellent cheesecake). I must say that it's lovely to be able to walk out the door and find food without getting in my car and going to the same three places in Palo Alto that I always go -- and it's even lovelier to be able to drink without worrying how to get home, since we dumped Vidya in a cab and sent her on her merry way when we were done.

But now, I'm super tired, and while I'd like to blame it on the pasta/wine extravaganza, I'm sure a large part of it is how much I've been doing and how much I have yet to do before going to New York. So, I'm going to go to bed; I have to drive down to Palo Alto again tomorrow to have brunch with Laura (long-time readers may remember her as the director whom I befriended several years ago, although she left and moved back to Texas a couple of years ago), and then I'm going to try to finish cleaning zee cabin even if it kills me. Goodnight!

No comments: