Tuesday, June 21, 2011

try to stay awake but you can't forget

I'm quite stressed with the amount of stuff I am doing, must do, will unavoidably fail to do, etc., over the next couple of weeks. The apartment is coming together nicely, but I need to accept that it's not going to be perfect before I leave so that I can focus on some of the things I need to do to get ready for my trip. And I'm having lots of daydreams of Ellie and Nick whilst unpacking, which hopefully means that I'll get some writing done while I'm in New York, as unlikely as that sounds.

So today was mostly focused on the apartment. I didn't get out of bed until after 10am, since I had my late-night Oakland/Monk's Kettle experience with Adit and didn't go to bed until v. late. Once I got out of bed, I made myself some oatmeal, heated up a hamburger from yesterday so that I wouldn't have to cook any protein, and fueled myself up for the day ahead. I spent the afternoon alternating between taking care of emails, agendas, travel arrangements, etc., and finishing with the kitchen. The kitchen is in great shape now, since everything is in its proper place; if I could sit in the kitchen without seeing the rest of the apartment, I would feel quite organized.

Eventually, though, I needed a break, and Terry had been outside to report that it was a lovely day (albeit too hot in the apartment). So, we walked down Union Street and had an early drink/dinner around 5:30pm. My caesar salad was quite good and reasonably priced, and I enjoyed a single glass of pinot grigio (really, I can't keep drinking every day, but at the risk of sounding like I'm self-medicating, it has been nice). We sat around and talked about work and life and the apartment, etc., before finally coming home so that I could keep making progress on the apartment. I now have almost all of my clothes unpacked and my printer and desk mostly set up, so my room is livable even if there are still several boxes that I need to take care of. I finally stopped a little before 10pm so that Terry and I could watch an episode of "Bones", and now I should probably go to sleep. I leave for the conference three nights from now -- gasp. Goodnight!

No comments: