Thursday, June 23, 2011

you pretended you were horrified

I think I will make it onto the plane tomorrow with my suitcase and my sanity intact. Actually, I suppose it's technically tonight - the plane for New York takes off in twenty-three hours whether I'm on it or not. I will be on it, though; I'm too excited about the prospect of focusing less on moving and more on writing to miss it.

Today was reasonably productive. Granted, I stayed in bed until eleven, but I needed one morning of laziness after the last few days. After I got up, showered, etc., I dropped off a pair of jeans for an emergency hem job before my trip, then wandered down the street and had a late lunch at La Boulange, where I ate slowly while writing a few pages of notes about the gargoyle series. Really, it is wonderful to walk out the door and have all sorts of food options around me; I didn't stock up on groceries because I'm about to leave town for twelve days, but food is readily available all around me.

What's also readily available is a Sephora, which is less than four blocks away -- and if you know anything about me, you know that that's dangerous. I haven't bought anything from Sephora (other than one tube of tinted moisturizer) since early December, which is like a record for me, but that meant that I was running low on several things and so had to stock up. But, I think that overall my addiction is under control, even if I know that I'm always just a hair's breadth away from a relapse.

I dragged my post-Sephora-euphoric self back to my apartment, where I proceeded to take care of the remaining stuff in the living room. This included hooking up the DVD player and the Wii, unpacking my Rock Band set, hauling boxes downstairs, hauling things from my car upstairs, etc. The living room, dining room, and kitchen are now mostly done, and I'm going to get my last few things put away tomorrow so that Terry doesn't have to sidestep them for the next couple of weeks. Then, I alternated between watching episodes of "Bones" with Terry and her sister Mary Kate (who is staying here tonight, and was apparently here last night, although I got home after they'd both gone to bed) and packing for the trip. I figured out all the outfits that I need for both the conference (including daytime professional clothes and evening cocktail party clothes) and my general sightseeing/writing time before/after the conference. At one point, I had 23 pairs of shoes spread out on the floor that were all in the running for the conference. Right now, I'm down to 8 (10 if I take my tennis shoes and my flipflops), but I'm not going to winnow down further until I pack the suitcase and see how much room I have left.

I should have gone to bed an hour ago, but I took some quality time to tinsel my hair. It's been eight months since I last tinseled my hair -- which happened to be when I left my job, and I can't believe it's been eight months since then. So, I have some nice, 'subtle' strands of purple in my hair, with spare tinsel ready to go into my suitcase in case I start losing it before the conference. And now that I'm checked into tomorrow's flight and have a list of all the things that need to get done before I leave, I really should get some sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: