Monday, August 01, 2011

i want a new drug

I awoke at six a.m., which may be a sign that the jet lag is still having a subtle effect on my sleeping patterns -- I wasn't able to go back to sleep, which is rare for me, so I laid in bed for three hours going down some rabbit holes on Wikipedia. I eventually got up, did the dishes, took a shower, made some breakfast, ate said breakfast, and was still in my chair at my desk by eleven with the intention of writing.

And despite that intention, I still tried to avoid it. I checked Google +; I checked Twitter; I checked Facebook; I chatted with Ritu Rani; I checked the social media triumvirate again; I copied my to do list from my notebook to my whiteboard; and I typed up the scenes that I'd written in longhand while I was traveling. Eventually, though, I pulled myself out of the procrastination morass and forced myself to write, and I turned out 1500 words (six pages), which ain't so shabby. Figuring out what to reveal and how to reveal it in the opening chapters of my non-gargoyle romance is going to be tricky, but at least I love a challenge, right?

I finally needed a break, though, so I walked to Starbucks, grabbed a latte, came home, and tried to call my parents. They weren't home, so I did some researching of women's names, then started reading up on famous weapons. I did talk to my parents for a few minutes eventually, but it was only to tell them that I couldn't talk because I was on my way to book club (sorry parents!). Book club was quite fun again; Lauren (aka Subz) wasn't able to make it because she was in Tahoe for the weekend, but Vidya, Terry, Katrina and I met at Katrina's to discuss this month's book -- BOSSYPANTS by Tina Fey. I think we all agreed that it was too light to really have grievances with; we all seemed to enjoy it, and yet we also wished there was more of a narrative thread or perhaps more substance or something. But, as the point of the book club is to drink, we succeeded, and a good time was had by all.

Post book club, I got a call/text from Katie, who said that a coworker of her sister's was in town and was looking for someone to get a drink with. I thought I was doing him a favor (although it turns out that Katie's sister is also in town and could have hung out with him, but foisted him on me instead -- well played), so despite my lingering cough and the fact that I got up at six a.m., I agreed to meet up. So, I dropped Katrina off at the bar, took Terry home (where we quickly grabbed food), and then took a cab back to the bar to hang out with Katrina and two of her friends. The friends ended up being total rockstars; I want to start a romance book club with one of them, and the other makes elaborate themed-food Oscars parties that sound v. reminiscent of my Olympics extravaganzas. Needless to say, we all got along swimmingly, and it's probably a good thing that one of them had to leave before the guy showed up, or we would have totally overwhelmed him. But, he was nice and the conversation was fun for an hour, which was all I could take before it was time to return to the Marina and my lovely bed.

And now, I shall sleep; my whole plan tomorrow is to write and catch up on bills, all of which is v. necessary. Goodnight!

No comments: