Wednesday, August 03, 2011

i had my spit glands removed during the war

Today was a v. productive day culminating in an awesome Craig episode and a mild resurgence of zee ulcer, so overall I'm counting it as a victory. I drove down to the glorious south bay to train with Alyssa, and I was on time despite taking time to eat breakfast this morning, which was rather miraculous. It was v. good to see her; the advantage/disadvantage of being on time is that she can force me to do more exercises, and while it felt good to work out (shocking, I know), my still-recovering cold/ulcer-ravaged body was quite winded/overheated by the end of it. Still, it was good to be back. We're going to reassess and set a new baseline on Friday and come up with plans for the next month, and I'm excited to have some sort of routine. Also, according to the scale at Equinox, my ulcer helped me to lose six pounds whilst in Germany, so I'm going to start calling it my ulcer friend until my doctor tells me otherwise next week.

After working out, I took a cooling shower, dried my hair, and went to Joanie's Cafe (the love of my life) to have a cobb salad and brainstorm what happens next in my gargoyle romance novel (sans gargoyles). Then, I went to downtown Palo Alto and checked out the liquidation sale at Borders, which made me quite depressed. Borders was my absolutely favorite store as a child, and I basically hoarded whatever money I could get so that I could buy books there whenever my parents took me to the one in Des Moines. So, I'm quite sad that they couldn't get their act together. The liquidation sale isn't in super final closeout mode yet, and so the books I got were only 20-30% off, but I still walked away with an odd mix of history (mostly middle ages/secret societies), romance, and young adult, all of which will feed into my eccentricities. I also ran into Alana, an old coworker (in the 'we worked together for seven years' meaning, not the 'elderly' meaning) who is currently on maternity leave, so we caught up briefly in the dying light of the store (which is cutting back on A/C and lighting and no longer offers bathrooms, which I suppose is another way to cut costs). I'll have to go back next week and see what's been priced lower, but at this point I just hope it dies quickly rather than lingering on in pain.

My stomach felt pretty queasy after lunch, and so I bailed on the v. tentative plan I had to have dinner with Jessica and instead came back to the evil city, where I nursed my vaguely pain-filled stomach while writing in bed. I later relocated to Starbucks to eat a plain bagel for an early dinner, since I didn't think my spaghetti sauce from last night was going to make my stomach happy, and I kept writing until a little after seven. All in all, I wrote ten pages today, which was enough to make me feel quite smug. That meant that I could veg in front of the tv tonight without feeling guilty. And veg I did...

...and I saw the best thing ever, which was last night's episode of Craig Ferguson in Paris. He's in Paris all week, and if last night's episode is any indication, this whole week is going to be a winner. He really is an amazingly funny, inventive dude; rather than having a stage or a location or whatever, he did several interviews outdoors on card tables set up in random spots, and also did interviews on an open-top bus and in a restaurant (replete with a waiter setting and clearing plates around them as they spoke). It was the most awesome thing I've seen in forever, so you know what I'll be watching the rest of the week. Then, I watched a rerun of "NCIS: Los Angeles" that I hadn't seen, did some stuff online, and am now going to go to bed. I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow, but I want to see if I can hit ten pages again -- a girl can dream. Goodnight!

No comments: