Wednesday, August 10, 2011

when you have to purchase mad d batteries

I'm falling asleep over my laptop, so this shall be exceedingly brief. I slept in longer than I should have this morning, but that's the consequence of going to bed at 1:30am. So I didn't have time to make it to the gym this morning, but I did drive down to Palo Alto and get my blood drawn for the tests my doctor wanted to run to figure out what's going on with my stomach. Then, I scurried over to my old place of employment to have lunch with the dude who replaced me. It's been more than two months since I was last on campus, but it still felt like home -- enough so that I was v. annoyed when the receptionist wouldn't let me through the secure doors to use the bathroom, even though it's her job to keep riff raff like me out. The dude seemed nice, and his excitement about the job at the beginning of his tenure seemed proportionate to the apathy I felt at the end of mine, so I suppose it's good that the big boss has him instead of me, right?

After I left campus, I went to Starbucks and played around with my consulting website for awhile. Then, I decided to go to the other campus of my youth so that I could write at the Stanford library. I took a break when I first got there and talked to Katie (happy birthday, Katie!), and then I managed to crank out six pages this afternoon -- not the twelve that I was hoping for, but I'll take it. Then, I grabbed dinner at the CoHo, drove back to the evil city, and spent the last couple of hours procrastinating, talking to Terry, and rereading the first segment of my manuscript before starting to fall asleep. I'm almost 20% of the way through the first draft, which is great progress, and things are quickly heading towards the first major turning point of the book, so I hope my sanity will survive it.

And now I'm off to bed -- I have to go down to the glorious south bay (which is feeling less glorious) again tomorrow to train with Alyssa, and then I need to write before the story kills me. Goodnight!

No comments: