Thursday, September 22, 2011

i got passion in my pants and i ain't afraid to show it

Why hello, blog. My pride and my defeat, my lover and my enemy, my joy and my torment. We meet again. And tonight, as with every night for the past oh-so-many years, I must sit down and write in you. I'm near delirious with exhaustion, and yet here I am, typing into the ether, recording fleeting bits and meaningless pieces of my days.

In other words, I'm tired. I would tell the blog to shove it and just go to bed, but I haven't missed a night in months and months (other than when I was in a castle in Germany sans internet, which I don't think counts), so I guess I'm stuck. I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night after staying up until 2:30am, and the sleep that I did get was fitful, particularly after the sun came up and turned its burning rays on the Marina at an unusually early hour. While there were foghorns last night and tonight, I expect that tomorrow morning will be a repeat of today -- an early clearing of the fog so that the city can heat up to an unusual 80+ degrees.

Anyway, this morning I made it out of the house and down to Palo Alto in time to train with Alyssa (although I had to buy socks at extortionate prices from the gym's clothing store, since I managed to forget mine). Surprisingly I am still able to walk and lift my arms, but we'll see if that's still true tomorrow. After Alyssa, I showered, dried my hair, and went to Joanie's, where I had my usual cobb salad -- this time sans bleu cheese, since it doesn't seem to agree with my stomach very well. Today was the last day of my acid blocker regimen, so I should know by the weekend whether the pain is back or whether I'm healed (although healing might be temporary if it is indeed stress-induced - I need to make some changes in my life when it comes to stress management, but the thought of making those changes is stressing me out, so it might be a lost cause). And while I was at Joanie's, I actually met Joanie's parents, who happened to sit at the table next to mine. I thought they were wonderful even before they told me they were her parents, and now I feel like I'm even more a part of the Joanie's secret society (even though I've never met Joanie; it's her ex-husband Bernard who owns the place). Yes, I'm crazy.

I then proceeded to Stanford campus, where I marveled at how young the incoming frosh (who arrived yesterday) look. And by 'marveled' I mean 'grew exceedingly depressed over how old I am' and also 'realized that I've known Adit for twelve long, tortured years'. But I digress. I spent the afternoon in one of the gorgeous reading rooms, where I took a nap and then wrote seven pages of Ellie and Nick's story. I just barely left in time to make it to my scheduled dinner in Mountain View, but I was surprisingly on time; I met up with Jane, Tolu and Joann for our every-six-weeks friendship renewal dinner, this time at Sura Sushi. It's been way more than six weeks since we've gotten together; with the various travels everyone (well, at least me) made over the summer, the last time the group got together was at my log cabin back in Aprilish. It was great to see them, and we caught up for a couple of hours over a variety of delicious foodstuffs. When we parted, I sped back to the evil city and managed to catch Terry before she went to bed. She made me watch "The New Girl", which turned out to be totally hysterical and is now on my must-watch list. Then we watched some Craig before she went to bed and I cleaned up my room.

And now, my dears, I must go to bed, and leave teh blog only to return and wrestle with its hold over me again tomorrow night. Goodnight!

No comments: