Monday, September 19, 2011

the violent bear it away

Today was lovely, and perhaps by tomorrow I shall be recovered by my Friday night reading binge and the subsequent disruption to my sleeping patterns. Terry and I hosted book club today; technically it was Terry who was hosting, but since we share an apartment, it behooves us to help each other with such endeavors. She made potatoes, cut up a variety of fruits, made oatmeal, and bought some pound cake at the Marina farmers' market; I made the eggs and expanded our baked goods offering by buying some brioche bread, an apple turnover, and an awesome almond croissant (which I wish I didn't now know was awesome, since I'll want it all the time) from La Boulange (rather than baking my planned cake, since I decided not to bother getting up early and driving to every grocery store in the city looking for canned blueberries). We also went through two bottles of champagne for mimosas, which explains the hour-long nap I had to take in the middle of the afternoon.

Lauren (aka Subz), Katrina and Chandlord (aka Vidius Chandicus) all showed up right on schedule, and we carried our food and libations up to the roof deck, where we held our book club in the intense sun of San Francisco's always-late-to-the-party summer. Now that I'm psychologically getting ready for fall, it's of course 75 degrees and brilliantly sunny outside, and will likely remain that way through the end of October. I shouldn't complain, particularly since the whole summer here was cold and unusually rainy, but still -- I actually got a bit of a sunburn on my chest, which is crazy for how close we are to the equinox.

The book club itself, centered on THE HELP, was v. enjoyable. We all seemed to really like the book (except for Vidya, who, ahem, watched the movie instead -- in her defense, she thought she wasn't going to be able to make it), and were all mildly surprised that we had liked it, since we didn't expect much out of it when we picked it. So, if any of you are interested in women's fiction/historical fiction with a lot of social commentary, an interesting Southern setting, or a lot of entertaining insight into the utterly destructive social warfare women wage against each other, I recommend it!

After we finished discussing the book, we adjourned downstairs to get out of the sun. Subz left at that point to pick up Nathan, but the rest of us sat around and watched some "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" -- clearly we are v. highbrow. Katrina and Chandlord escaped when the episode ended, and I took a nap to recover from the ravages of two mimosas (avoiding alcohol due to my ulcer has made me an utter lightweight). Post nap, I returned to the roof deck and talked to my parents for an hour or so, as per usual on Sunday. Then, I attempted to work, but instead got sucked into watching the Emmys, followed by an episode of "Mad Men" with Terry -- I'd seen that episode when I lived with Adit, and it's one of my all-time faves since a secretary accidentally cuts off a dude's foot with a riding lawn mower. I know, I'm not a nice person.

And now, I suppose I should sleep -- I need to force myself through the difficulties I'm having with both in-progress manuscripts this week, and that means I need sleep so that I can wake up and focus. Goodnight!

No comments: