Wednesday, October 12, 2011

every vow you break

I'm blogging again from the public spaces of my writing hideout. I might as well tell you, if you haven't guessed already, that I'm in Tahoe; I found an absurdly good deal on a condo in Squaw Valley, which made more sense when I got here and discovered that the village is utterly deserted. Like, apocalyptically deserted, or so it felt on Monday when it was raining and there was no one in sight. Today is slightly less deserted, but still v. quiet; half the restaurants are closed at any given time, the Starbucks closes at five, most of the shops are closed, and without any internet in my room, there's basically nothing to do *but* work. Which is exactly what I came for, so it all works out.

Anyway, I haven't yet written anything of substance today, although there are still a few hours in which to change that -- but I still chalk today up as insanely productive. I spent the morning rewriting the blurbs for my three books (the two I've written, plus Ellie and Nick's story that I keep jumping into and out of) and filling out questionnaires for the artist I'm going to use to design my covers. That also involved looking up romance novel covers that I like, which felt slightly dirty in the middle of Starbucks, particularly since there seems to be some religious gathering going on and I'm not sure they look fondly on half-naked women and the even nakeder men who love them.

But, I'm glad that task is done; I heard back from the cover artist and she's happy to work with me, so I should have covers to share in a few weeks. I grabbed a subpar sandwich at the only sandwich place open for lunch, then actually left the resort (gasp) for the first time since getting here on Sunday to stock up on Diet Mountain Dew at the 7-11 down the road. When I got back, I ventured out into the village again to take advantage of the wireless for some more wireless related tasks; one was estimating the number of pages in my properly formatted books, since I didn't include that info for the cover artist earlier and had not yet gotten to the stage of debating whether to publish the book in 5x8 or 6x9 and the relative merits of each. The other was to transfer Madeleine and Ferguson's book to my iPad in reasonable chunks so that my super-spiffy editing software can handle me doing one last round of copyedits on it. Then I spent a couple of hours copyediting and got through approximately five chapters, so I'm going to have to up my estimate of how long the copyedits will take.

Sorry, this is all supremely boring. But it's got to be better than 'I did nothing today and am so depressed about it', isn't it? Or at least, it's better for me, and you're just along for the ride on this blog anyway, so you'll have to suck it up and take it. I took a break for the past forty-five minutes or so to eat some pizza (Alyssa is going to kill me next week), and now I'm debating whether I have the energy to keep copyediting or whether I should throw in the towel and do something that doesn't involve looking at a screen. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always thought an apartment in LeClaire overlooking the river would be a great writing hideaway. Slater