Friday, October 14, 2011

surprise you with a victory cry

I'm back in San Francisco, where it has apparently decided to turn into summer again just when I'm ready for fall. Leaving Tahoe was super easy, given that I packed last night; I was on the road by 10:30 and home by 3:30, although I would have been home sooner had I not taken an extended lunch break at Baja Fresh in Vacaville. The Baja Fresh made me sleepy, so I took a nap when I got here, attempted to wake myself up with some Starbucks, failed, and didn't accomplish much the rest of the day. I did reread my entire gargoyles manuscript, which made me sad that I've temporarily put it aside -- I think it will be awesome, but it will be a few months before I can do much of anything with it.

Eventually I stopped pretending that I was going to write, and instead spent a couple of hours playing around with social media (which is, now, a form of work, since I need to build my platform). I mostly played with Goodreads, the social media site for books, where I've had an account for years and let it languish mostly unused. It's a tricky thing, because I want to be honest in my reviews, but I also don't want to alienate authors with whom I may have a professional relationship someday. I'm navigating it by being honest with my positive reviews, and just not entering negative reviews (unless they're books outside the romance/paranormal/YA genres, since I don't intend to write nonfiction/mystery/cookbooks/etc). It's a pretty cool site if you love books, though, so I recommend joining if you haven't already (and if you have room to get active on more networks than just Google+ ;)

Speaking of Google networks, though, I saw today that Google is officially killing Google Buzz, which has languished for months and was clearly just waiting for the coup de grace after the launch of Google+. I get the impression that a lot of my blog readers are reading it on the feed into Google Buzz - if you're one of those people, you'll need to come to the site (or subscribe to the rss) to continue getting your usual dose of my inanity.

And now, I should sleep, if the heat and the lingering caffeine in my bloodstream allow me to. I have to get up early to go to Berkeley for the monthly romance writer meeting (featuring a publicist, which should be tres interessant), and then I have to find someplace to change between Berkeley and Moraga so that I can go to my friend Heather's wedding in the afternoon (not Heather aka dear respected madam; the other Heather). Sixteen hours at home, and my social butterfly life picks up right where it left off. Goodnight!

3 comments:

~Wamp said...

s-s-s-s a-a-a-a f-f-f-f e-e-e-e t-t-t-t y-y-y-y
Safety,
Dance!

Thanks for getting it stuck in my head with your suprising victory cry. It just never gets old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-bIhCBSrzU

Sara said...

That's an awesome moment - thanks for costing me the forty minutes I spent watching 'Scrubs' clips on YouTube.

~Wamp said...

Also worth noting is Family Guy, Season 7, Episode 7 "Ocean's 3 1/2" skip ahead to minute 17:38 (available on Netflix).