Monday, November 21, 2011

the grand facade so soon will burn

You get virtually nothing from me tonight because I'm beyond exhausted. Five hours of sleep last night wasn't nearly enough, particularly since I had to work on the plane rides. I made it to the airport without any problems, grabbed a latte in an attempt to wake myself up (which just gave me the caffeine shakes), and then worked on my author note/acknowledgments/bio/etc. for Madeleine and Ferguson's book so that I can get it formatted properly in preparation for the launch. The good news is that I've pushed the deadline on Amelia/Malcolm back to December 19th -- which is still v. v. soon, but is so far beyond December 5th that it feels like a miracle. So yay to that, since it means I might actually see my family occasionally this week.

In Denver I attempted to be good and follow Alyssa's directives, but the Wolfgang Puck salad was perhaps the saddest, most awful thing I've eaten in a month, so I didn't eat much of it (but I did finish a whole glass of wine, since I was sitting at the bar, which made me tipsy on an empty stomach). I tried to rectify by getting a Jamba Juice, but I'm not sure I was successful. Then I flew to Des Moines, working on my marketing plan the entire way, and rendezvoused with my parents. They were quite kind to take me to the grocery store on the way home (the one an hour north of us, which is the nearest big-time grocery store -- it's no wonder I stockpile stuff). They were also quite kind not to roll their eyes too badly while I bought almond milk, whey protein, cumin, and a variety of other Alyssa-approved but not Iowa-bred foodstuffs. Luckily (?) it was nearly freezing outside, so dumping perishables in the back of the truck for the drive home was like leaving it all in a vast cooler -- and now I'm stocked up with gluten-free delights.

When we got home, I reveled in the anticipation of sleeping in the queen-sized bed they finally put in my room, which is pretty much the highlight of my year after too many vacations spent sleeping on the twin bed that they bought when we got back from Ukraine and that had slowly transformed itself into a slab of concrete over the past eighteen years. Then, we went out for supper, where I pursued my gluten-free agenda by having a ribeye and a baked potato -- really, it's not a hardship, although turning down my brother's breaded mushrooms was difficult. When we got home, I came downstairs immediately to work, but ended up unpacking first, then watching the last half of "Hawaii 5-O" with my brother (after being lured to it by a v. hot scene of Alex O'Loughlin escaping a North Korean prison). I finally started working around 10:30, and spent the last two hours finishing up some stuff for my agent and writing the rest of my marketing plan in preparation for a call with a publicist tomorrow.

And now that you've gotten way more than I intended to give you, I really must sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: