Wednesday, November 02, 2011

in the city of blinding light

Bleh. I feel about half as bad as I deserve to feel -- I woke up with a hangover, which was entirely to be expected, and it wasn't even that terrible. But I also woke up with a head cold, which came out of nowhere, and which I was utterly surprised and upset by. My throat hurts, my nose is runny, my head hurts, and I'm generally a mess. Add to that the fact that I twisted my ankle while wandering around in the Tenderloin last night and was wasted enough to forget it, which surprised me when I got out of bed leading with that foot. Not. Pleasant. At. All.

The morning proceeded to go awry; I got out of bed, showered, made myself look passably human, went outside, and couldn't get a cab. After waiting for awhile, I ended up driving downtown, and so by the time I parked and walked to the hotel, I missed the first twenty minutes of the session that I really wanted to see. I stayed for the next session, but they had lost my interest and I felt like death in the superchilled conference room air, so I came home and slept for an hour and a half. Then I went back to the conference, which still didn't interest me particularly; in my surly state I've come to the conclusion that a lot of this transmedia stuff is just bullshit marketing ploys, and while there are some things that are genuinely interesting, I'm not quite ready to abandon books as my primary media platform.

The conference ended around five, so I came home and have worked ever since. There are all sorts of things that I need to be doing (besides writing a whole fucking novel, which I'm putting off until Thursday), and I did some of them today -- signing up for a mailing list management program and customizing the mailing list signups, writing a blog post announcing my self-publishing endeavors and upcoming release dates, redrafting the back cover blurbs, filling out a form for an ad that I'm buying in Romantic Times (yes, that magazine exists), etc. I'm making forward progress, which is good, but I was feeling way too whiny tonight to be working. So I happily took a break for a bit and watched the pilot of "Once Upon a Time" with Terry, which was intriguing and convinced us to DVR future episodes.

And now, I must load up on Nyquil and go to sleep; I need to be at the conference by nine a.m., and since I'm way more interested in tomorrow's all-day breakout on epublishing, I don't want to be late. Goodnight!

No comments: