Monday, November 21, 2011

same same

I went hardcore with the socializing today in an effort to see my San Francisco tribe before going back to Iowa tomorrow. Or perhaps I went hardcore with the socializing because it was more appealing than packing and editing. In any event, I'm exhausted and must go to bed asap, since I need to wake up in five hours to go to the airport (after sleeping five hours last night too).

But I won't leave you hanging without a brief recap. I woke up, showered, trimmed my bangs, turned them into a mild disaster, and left them a mild disaster because I didn't have time to fix them (since any further cutting could be fatal, and I needed a break to refocus my efforts so that I don't butcher them on my next attempt). Then I sped over to Katrina's for book club. It was technically Lauren's turn to host, but her house is still being renovated, so Katrina hosted for her -- and via a miscommunication, they both made food, which turned into a delightful and delicious mistake for the rest of us. Chandlord was too sick to come, but Terry was a trooper and came for an hour on the way to the airport (with her sister, who was taking her to the airport and so was an informal and uninitiated guest for the proceedings). The book, as you know from last night, was THE NIGHT CIRCUS, and the conversation was interesting and entertaining, as per usual. Terry and Kasey left, but Katrina, Lauren and I sat around and drank champagne until two p.m., which was a lovely way to start the day.

After book club, I came home and furiously attacked my to do list. I got everything packed up, cleaned my room, emptied my part of the fridge so that rotting veggies aren't taking up space for Terry's Thanksgiving feast, etc., etc. I also talked to my parents, as per usual, although there wasn't much to say since it was my father's birthday yesterday (happy birthday daddy!) and so I talked to him then, and will see them both tomorrow.

I wasn't planning on doing anything other than working tonight, but Shedletsky invited me to dinner with Tammy, Tammy's boyfriend Daniel, Can Sar, and Shedletsky's girlfriend Christina. I don't see those kids very often, and this was my only chance to see Tammy while she was in town, so I drove to Belmont to hang out with them for an hour. I spent more time in the car than I did in their house, but it was worth it; I enjoyed the chicken tacos, and the conversation was as entertaining as it always is.

Sadly, I had to leave them to come back to the evil city for second dinner, this time with Adit, Priyanka, Katrina and Chandlord for Sunday night family dinner at My Tofu House. We don't get together every Sunday, but it's lovely to have some family time [side note: I got a hit on my blog a couple of weeks ago from someone who seemed to be one of my mother's cousins, who clicked on the tag 'family time' and must have been v. confused]. It was particularly lovely since I won't see those fools, or eat soft tofu, or any other soy product really, for a couple of weeks. So we hung out and ate and were merry (sans drinking, thank goodness) before I abandoned ship to come home and take care of the last little details before my trip.

And now, after blogging for longer than I intended, I really must sleep - 4am is going to come all too soon. Goodnight!

No comments: