Sunday, November 20, 2011

we are such stuff as dreams are made on

I am nearly hallucinating from exhaustion; as I brushed my teeth with my eyes closed, I felt surrounded by any of the dozen bathrooms I've had over the past decade, and the starbursts on the edges of my vision may be some cause for concern. If they were tasty strawberry or lemon starbursts, perhaps I would delight in their chewiness, but they are exploding pinpoints of light on my retinas, which is much less enjoyable.

I woke up moderately early today and spent several hours preparing my room for my departure; there's more stuff on my to-do list than I can possibly do, which is how I roll, so c'est la vie. However, I had to leave my house at 1:30 to drive to Manteca, which is ridiculously far away, for a board meeting of the San Francisco romance writers chapter that I'm part of. I got elected to a vice president of programs role, which is both cool and more than I should have committed to, but it should be fun. The chapter president lives in Manteca, which is so far along the route to Yosemite that it actually says Yosemite on signs around there. The meeting was good, though, even if there are characters that I would like to describe to you and cannot (both from circumspection and because there are no words).

After leaving Manteca, it took two hours to get home, but forty minutes of that was spent in a standstill on the approach to the Bay Bridge (damn rain). When I got home, Terry and I watched Big Game, and I was supremely thankful that we beat Cal (sssssss). We took a break at halftime to get burgers, and then I proceeded to watch the rest of the game even though I had way too much to do. The game ended at 10:30, I came upstairs at 11, and then rather than going to sleep like a smart person, I started reading the book for tomorrow's book club....

...and of course I finished the whole thing, even though I vowed to put it aside halfway through and accept that I would have to go to book club without having read it all. The book is THE NIGHT CIRCUS, and I am torn between thinking it was great and really hating it, so perhaps some sleep will clarify my opinions. But now, I really must sleep; I have to pack, put together a bunch of stuff for my agent, run some errands, etc., etc., and manage not to be so tired that I miss my flight on Monday morning. Yay. Goodnight!

No comments: