Sunday, December 04, 2011

show up and throw up

I'm still not done with SCOTSMEN, thanks for asking. I did make progress today, though, so that's good news. I woke up around eleven, showered, and was debating whether to make something for lunch, go out in the city for lunch, or drive to Palo Alto and have lunch when Terry asked whether I wanted to grab food. So we finally tried a breakfast/brunch cafe on Union Street that we've been meaning to try, and it turns out that the food was awesome. I had huevos rancheros, which are perfect for my gluten-free life since there are corn tortillas that make me feel like I'm getting some form of carb without loading up on wheat. And it turns out the huevos rancheros were actually really good; a lot of times they're a weird side addition to the menu that does not go well, but I would definitely eat these again.

So Terry and I lingered over brunch and caught up some more, since we haven't really seen each other in the last couple of weeks. Then, I came home, called Barnes and Noble about my defective Nook (they're sending a replacement, yay), took care of a couple of tings, and packed my bag to go down to Stanford and work. I wouldn't have gone down, but I needed to be there tonight for a party, so I decided to go a few hours early and write. That meant packing a backpack full of writing supplies and another bag with makeup and high heels to change into before heading to the party, but it all worked out quite well. I spent three hours at Stanford library and wrote a v. hot sex scene (Malcolm and Amelia don't love each other yet, but they sure want each other) while students around me studied for finals. Yes, it's weird, but it all worked out well.

Around 7:30, I left the library, went to my car and grabbed my makeup, and refreshed myself before heading over the Chris and Connie's for their Christmas/Chris's birthday party. His birthday isn't until the 20th, but they were celebrating early, and I had a lovely time. I stopped on the way to buy a bottle of wine, and I'm glad that he opened it while I was still there, since it was my favorite wine of the night (and his too, I believe; I purposefully bought the same wine he brought to my birthday dinner a couple of months ago, assuming that he loves it, which he does). Connie made all sorts of awesome hors d'oeuvres, and I'm sure I'll feel ill in the morning since I had way too much gluten (my stomach hurts right now). I hadn't had dinner and didn't have time to stop since I lost track of time and was already running late, so I ended up eating too many pigs in a blanket, which was a delicious mistake.

But the party was fun; obviously Chris and Connie were there, but I also got to see Chris and Kristen, Peder (aka Timmy) and Suzy, Adit, and Scott and Catherine, all of whom were in good form. There were some other people there whom I didn't know and didn't really meet, since even in a small party like that, our clique tends to isolate itself. Or perhaps I tend to isolate myself but always have someone to isolate myself with. Either way, Chris, Folkie, Kristen, Adit, Timmy, Suzy and I ended up out on the patio under the heat lamp, drinking wine and reminiscing until everyone else left and it was too cold to sit outside. So we rejoined Connie inside and continued to chat until sometime after midnight. I was the last one to leave, awkwardly, since everyone else left while I was in the bathroom, and I got home around 1:45. You needed to know that detail, right?

And now, my friends, I must sleep. You know what awaits me tomorrow, but if you can't put words to my fate, I'll say it for you: Malcolm and Amelia are going to try to bludgeon me to death, and I'm going to do my level best to write fast enough to avoid dying. Goodnight!

No comments: