Wednesday, January 25, 2012

hike up your skirt a little more and show the world to me

So I'm still obsessing over numbers to the detriment of finishing Malcolm and Amelia, which needs to stop immediately because they're theoretically coming out in March (not theoretically -- definitely, since I'm putting it in all the promo I'm doing for Madeleine/Ferguson and I don't want to look like a flaky unprofessional loser), which means I should probably be done in the next ten days so that they can get formatted and proofread, etc., etc. Shoot me. But before you shoot me, the awesome thing about being obsessed with the numbers today was that the numbers were great. As of right now, HEIRESS is #65 in the Nook store for all romance, #14 for historical romance, and #6 for Regency romance!

I don't actually know how many books I sold to get those numbers -- it's clearly based on velocity of sales, not just number, and so maybe I sold five books while everyone else sold nothing and that catapulted me up in the charts. But either way, this is awesome, since it means my book is very easy to find for people browsing the top romances in my categories. And hopefully a few of them will love the book and want to read the next one, but we shall see.

So I took care of a variety of promo stuff this morning, talked to my dad, and obsessed over the numbers, before finally going out and having breakfast at a cafe since I was clearly too excited to cook oatmeal for myself. I had huevos rancheros at the cafe down the street (yum), then went to Sephora and used my aunt's giftcard (thanks aunt b!) to buy some high-powered hand cream for my desiccated typing hands. Then I came home, did some more stuff for my publicist, obsessed over the numbers, tried to write, didn't write as much as I should have, talked to Katie, obsessed, talked to my mom, obsessed some more, wrote a bit, obsessed, and finally decided to cook supper. The leftover steak from last night was the highlight of my dinner, but I made a stirfry with broccoli/red pepper/onion/green beans/coconut oil that wasn't bad, just boring. Then I tried to write again, but instead updated my romance website with a bit about where I'm going to visit this year and where I've got guest blog posts coming up. Fun, right?

Tomorrow I think I'm going to leave my computer at home and go someplace to write in my notebook, since clearly I can accomplish nothing when the internet lets me check my ranking all the time. After all, it's all well and good if this book does really well, but it ain't exactly "To Kill a Mockingbird", so it's important that I publish more than one book in my life. And on that note I'm going to bed -- goodnight!

[edited on 1/26 at 11:48am PST to add...]

Here's where you can see the book on Barnes and Noble's rankings by category:

Regency romance: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?CAT=666294&sort=sa&view=grid&store=ebook

Historical romance: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?CAT=914217&sort=sa&view=grid&store=ebook

All romance (typically on the third page right now, if you're looking at 30/page): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?dref=2565&srt=sa&store=ebook&sze=10&view=grid

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do your fans follow those numbers? Couldn't find them on the Nook site. -Becky

Sara Ramsey said...

Hey Becky - you can find the numbers by browsing the Nook store. I don't think links show up in comments, so I've added them to the end of this post. I know, I'm so obsessed.