Friday, February 24, 2012

hey i heard you were a wild one

I'm unfortunately still hideously ill -- the sore throat is subsiding a bit, but I've developed a cough in the last two hours that promises to settle into my lungs and take up residence for a few weeks/months as my coughs usually do. Damn.

But today was a great day -- Heiress went up on Kindle!!! I knew we'd hit the publish button today, but since it can take up to twenty-four hours for a book to go live, I'd been telling people it was coming out tomorrow. However, it went live this morning -- and, in a v. happy bit of odd wonderfulness, I found out because I reader whom I don't know and don't follow on twitter tweeted me to ask when it would be up, and then reported back that it was up. Woot! So I'm apparently reaching people who don't know me personally, which is awesome -- not that I don't love you all, and not that I don't hope that y'all buy and love all my books, but JK Rowling didn't get to where she's at by selling to just her friends and family (unless she's got way more family than I thought, in which case someone really should have taken her in when she was a struggling single mom). So it's strangely surreal and awesome that people I don't know are talking about it.

Anyway, the fact that it went live today totally threw off all my plans. I had intended to buckle down on the final edits for SCOTSMEN, preferably over some chai at Samovar. Instead, I tweeted, facebooked, answered comments on a guest blog that I did, checked my Amazon stats obsessively (no stats available until an hour or so ago, and I'm already under 10,000 in the rankings -- not fabulous, but pretty awesome considering that it took several days to get under 10,000 on Barnes and Noble and Amazon has many, many more titles than B&N due to all the self-pubbers who focus their attention on kindle), etc. I had to go downtown at 1pm to get my bangs trimmed and my eyebrows waxed so that I look like a competent, fun author instead of a wildebeest; while they may not have been able to change my bone structure or stop my shoulders from hunching up, I am definitely less hairy. Yay.

But after the bangs/eyebrows, I had to sit in the Peets Coffee below the salon and work for an hour on getting my press kit up on my site. It's still a little rough, but it's there. Then I went to the mall with the intention of buying a notebook and some pens from my favorite Japanese stationery store -- and then I ended up shopping for clothes and buying three tops from Calvin Klein and three from MaxStudio. Oops. But now I have cute, fun things to wear at this event I'm going to this weekend, and at future events that I do, and on other days when I manage to get out of my pajamas and leave the house. Sweet.

I had a late lunch/early dinner at 4:30 at Chipotle in the mall, and promptly regretted it; this illness has been v. appetite suppressing, and so while only having a banana and some coffee earlier in the day wasn't smart, the stomach definitely wasn't happy about Chipotle either. So I sat for a bit to recover, then came home, then went out with Terry, who had dinner while I nursed a glass of wine (that's like vitamins, right?) and we discussed taking over the media world. Then I came home and packed, then watched some tv, then did some promo stuff, and now need to sleep immediately so I can get up at 6:15am (the horror!), check my stats, get dressed, and go to the airport for this romance event I'm going to this weekend. I shall report back, and it shall be amazing, if I don't get quarantined at the airport. Goodnight!

No comments: