Sunday, February 19, 2012

two tickets to the gun show

Today was utterly ridiculous, and, true to form, I failed to hold to my goal of not drinking to excess at Adit's party. But, to be fair, I did get a lot done beforehand, so I can't be utterly regretful.

I shall begin at the beginning, though, as I always do. When I woke up this morning, I was in no mood to write yet, so I took care of some stuff and then got Terry to go out for breakfast (which took more time than expected, since our usual place had a line for once -- what's up with that?). As soon as we got home, I parted ways with her, walked to the post office to express mail some bookmarks and stuff to this romance conference I'm going to next weekend (which I almost canceled on, but decided to go to at the last minute, hence the express mailing). Then I walked to Readers Cafe in Fort Mason, where I got super hyped up on coffee (to the point that the barista suggested that I slow down, since she knew I was about to get totally fucked on caffeine based on the combination of drinks I'd ordered). They had this New Orleans iced coffee that was fantastic (New Orleans = chicory added to the coffee blend, per the cheap coffee ripoffs they drank during the war (the war = the Civil war, obvi)).

Anyway, between the writing I did at Readers Cafe + the hour and a half that I forced out of myself at home afterward, I wrote twenty pages and basically finished the end of the book. I need to write a bit of the last scene tomorrow and do some proofreading, but hey, it's only 3:38am -- clearly that's totally doable!!!! Sob. I shouldn't have drank anything tonight, but I'm a total sucker for peer pressure. And I'm even more of a sucker when I'm supposedly being honored at a party, as was true of Adit and Priyanka's house party tonight. So I gave out some romance trading cards, signed some men's chests with my silver sharpie (and I do mean real men in attendance at the party, not cover models), and generally hung out for hours and hours and ahours. Chris Boyd and John did a push0pu off in Adit's kitchen, which was hysterical; Chris also tried to give me two tickets to the gun show, but since the gun show looked less like a human gun show and more like a velociraptor gun show, he got more ego-killing laughter than he expected. Poor kid. We also sang some karaoke (Nickelback + Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance"), before Adit's neighbor asked us to be quiet.

Eventually, the only people left were me, Adit, Priyanka, Boyd, Timmy, and Folky, and so we all went to Sparky's (a 24-hr diner) to refuel and stave off our (inevitable) hangovers. Since I'd had several drinks + two shots (one 'tequila blackberry' shot, which was self-explanatory as a tequila shot with a blackberry in it; and one vodka shot straight out of the dregs of the bottle), food was a great idea. What wasn't a great idea was Adit insisting on roadies for the walk to the restaurant, which means that Priyanka, Folky and I finished off the remnants of a bottle of prosecco (disaster). Surprisingly, Priyanka, Timmy and I were still the most sober people at the restaurant when we arrived, so at least the food got ordered properly and the waitress got paid. After easting, though, I realized I would rather sleep in my own bed tonight -- and so even though I'll have to go back and get my car in the morning, I took a cab home and am about to enjoy the sleep of the just (or, at least, the sleep of the drunk). Goodnight!

No comments: