Friday, February 10, 2012

what if your words could be judged like a crime

No writing happened today, but I kind of expected that. I did have an epiphany about what was bothering me with Malcolm's character arc, which was wonderful, so hopefully I can fix that and finish the clean up on the ending and have something I can start copyediting next week. I'm going to a secret getaway Monday night and staying out of town until Friday, and I intend to edit and polish until my fingers bleed (not so far off, since they're already desiccated), so hopefully I'll be done in a jiffy.

Anyway, today was good and productive despite the lack of writing. I got up and had breakfast and took care of tings before driving down to Palo Alto to train with Alyssa. She was rather brutal with me today, and I hope I can lift my arms tomorrow -- I would make a joke about John McCain and the Hanoi Hilton, but it may still be too soon. Post workout, I showered, made myself moderately presentable for the rest of the day's activities, and then had a quick lunch with John at the place where I used to work (verdict: food is still as good and as ridiculous as always, even if No Name Cafe now has a name). He had a two o'clock and I needed to get back to the city, so we parted ways quickly, I grabbed gasoline and coffee, and came home.

I had intended to go to a cafe and write when I got back to the city, but my need for an afternoon nap struck again, so I came home and slept for forty minutes. Then I figured out the plot hole re: Malcolm and started revamping the formatting of the manuscript (things like adding chapter numbers takes a surprising amount of time). But I had to leave again at 5:15 to go pick up someone and take her to the romance chapter board dinner in Emeryville. Getting on/over the bridge was just as bad as expected, so it's good we met early, but it gave us some quality time to get to know each other (she's visiting from the San Diego chapter, and is hanging out because she's friends with the speaker, so we let her come to dinner).

Dinner ended up being super fun and totally delicious; I had scallops with mashed potatoes and green beans, and got to spend some quality time talking to the former president, whom I love. We all eventually parted ways at 8:30, I dropped off the San Diego person at her hotel, and then came home and messed around on the internet for a bit before having a 20-minute call with the current president of the romance chapter to discuss some stuff for tomorrow that we didn't get a chance to cover at dinner.

And now, I really should go to bed -- the meeting is tomorrow, which I have to be at (obvi), and then I need to write all weekend and pack for my secret getaway. It's probably stupid if I take my printer with me, right? So that means I need to write everything that needs written pre-printout so that I don't have a need for a printer. It's doable, if only barely, so wish me luck. Goodnight!

No comments: