Thursday, February 09, 2012

you don't know me, but i'm your [censored]

It's only ten p.m., but I'm going to bed as soon as I post this. If I post tomorrow saying that I lied and stayed up and read a book until four a.m., please punch me in the face. Today was good, but I hit the wall and can't think anymore, and since my building's water is getting shut off from 9-10am tomorrow (precisely the only hour I intended to spend awake in my apartment), I need to get up before that if I want to use the facilities and make breakfast before the water goes bye-bye. Yeah, I just wrote that sentence. All my word-making synapses are dead.

Anyway, I got up, showered, and made it to the airport in time to pick up that agent who was flying in. She came into SF, but the hotel's in Emeryville, so I had to take her over the Bay Bridge and get her checked in. Then she asked if I could drop her off in San Francisco on my way home, since she has friends here. I wasn't coming home, and instead planned to go to Stanford, but I came back through SF instead of down the east side of the bay and across the Dumbarton so that I could drop her off -- which didn't add all that much time, but still. Then I sped down to Palo Alto, had a salad at Joanie's (the bright spot of the day), went to Stanford library, and attempted to slog. I was trying to drink more water and less caffeine, so I only took a bottle of water into the library -- which promptly proved to be a mistake, since I took a 45-minute nap in a chair in the Bender Room. Afternoons are really the worst for me; I need to stop pretending I can accomplish anything worthwhile most afternoons and use it to take care of nonsense instead.

So I roused myself, went outside to the Coupa trailer, got some coffee, snuck it back in, and slogged until 7:30. Properly caffeinated, the slog went well; I wrapped up another brand new scene with some sewn-in remnants from the previous version of the book, and next up is Malcolm and Amelia's final showdown. It's all coming together, and I got ten pages today, so yay. I left the library to get a smoothie for supper, but I decided that rather than forcing myself to go back and be less-than-maximally productive, it made sense to come home, zone out a bit, and get nine or ten hours of sleep to make up for the deficit I'm running so I can accomplish stuff tomorrow. We'll see how this plan works out, but given how excited I am to sleep, I think it'll be good.

In Heiress news, my book has mysteriously shot back up (down) in the rankings -- when I checked just now, it's right at #100 in the Nook Top 100, #32 in romance, #8 in historical, and #6 in Regency. Holla! If this just happened because all y'all are buying another copy of my book every day, I'm still flattered (albeit slightly sad that I'm selling hundreds of copies to a handful of people, rather than single copies to hundreds). But I think it means that I have an awesome cover, a great back cover blurb, and some good reviews building up, which is all v. exciting. And it also means that people are talking it up to their friends -- so if you're one of the people doing that, double thank you. I'll give you your choice of a shot of Fernet, a Diet Coke, or a cup of tea the next time I see you.

Speaking of giveaways, those romance trading cards / bookmarks that I rush ordered last weekend were sitting outside my door when I got home tonight, which was even rushier than I anticipated. They're totally awesome, so if you want any, let me know. And now I must go to bed before I break my promise to myself to sleep for many hours tonight -- goodnight!

2 comments:

the aunt said...

I want one.

Sara said...

will send you some when I get back from my secret writing getaway!