Thursday, February 23, 2012

you don't seem to know, seem to care what your heart is for

Hello, bedtime. Hello, Nyquil. It's definitely time for me to go to bed -- and under no circumstances should I reread my notes for my secret gargoyle project, since I have no time to work on it right now! But since I just reread most of that manuscript, I'm probably doomed.

I woke up around eleven feeling like death, but I managed to get the most pressing tasks on my to-do list done anyway. I had to do some more stuff related to the print book for Heiress, which will definitely not be out until early next week at the earliest since I have to get the proof copy in the mail and then approve distribution -- so let's hope the proof copy looks awesome and I can approve it as-is, or else I have to go through all of this again. And I took care of some other writerly tasks while eating oatmeal (sexy, I know), before showering and eventually driving to the south bay. I still felt like death, and was v. sleepy to boot, but I made it to Palo Alto and proceeded to have a salad for a weird 4pm meal (my illness is messing with my appetite) before going to Philz and spending a couple of hours crafting a bizarro guest blog post that's live right now on the Ruby blog (see my romance site for a link -- I may have called Genghis Khan a genius at brand marketing, which is why I should never write guest blog posts while hyped up on Dayquil and coffee).

The only reason I went to Palo Alto was because I had my writing group tonight and my story was one of the two being discussed, so I felt like I couldn't skip it. It was a good meeting, all in all; the other woman's story was fantastic, and I always enjoy reading what she writes, so that was fun. And they had good things to say about the third chapter of the secret gargoyle project that I sent them -- I wrote it months ago, but want to get back to it someday, and so it was good to hear their thoughts. Granted, the sole dude in the group suggested that I have lightning shooting from someone's hands, and that I should add forcefields -- I don't think he understands the difference between X-Men-style scifi and more magic/fantasy stuff. C'est la vie.

After we finished, I sped home, worked for another hour, messed around for another hour reading the gargoyle manuscript (which I adore; it's what I want to write next, but instead I need to finish edits on Scotsmen and then write Ellie/Nick's story). So now I need to take some Nyquil, sleep, and hope that I feel better tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: