Monday, March 19, 2012

the bleeding love, the silent escape

I meant to be in bed ages ago -- this is the price of procrastinating, since there were so many things I didn't want to do today. I woke up around 9:15 (actually, I woke up at 8 to the sound of our neighbors moving out, but I pretended that I could still sleep despite the racket), got all dolled up, and eventually dragged Terry out for brunch. We went farther down Union than we usually do, to an area that I never explore (since I either stay within two blocks of the house, go to Fort Mason, or drive to another neighborhood entirely). The brunch took much longer than it should have, but the place was totally cute and it was good to spend some quality time with Terry before she travels for the next couple of days.

When we got home, I took care of some various and minor annoyances before leaving again to go to a different neighborhood (Hayes Valley) to get a drink with Katrina, Chandlord, and Katrina's friend Julie. On my way I talked to my parents, who were in good form despite the insanely warm weather in Iowa and the fact that Iowa State is out of the tournament. I'm jealous of their weather for once -- it was fifty degrees here with a bitter wind, which none of us are used to. After hanging up, I went to the bar, which was my kind of scene -- books everywhere, and fancy cocktails with entertaining names. Iowans will be thrilled to know that one of the cocktails specifically featured Templeton rye, since it's kinda a big deal amongst the hipster bartenders these days. I confined myself to a single Irish coffee, which I nursed over the next couple of hours (along with some awesome french fries, don't tell Alyssa).

After we finished, I took Chandlord home, then came back to my own abode, then drove Terry out into the cold to pick up salads from a takeout salad place in the heart of the Marina (which was pretty dead today, since it was too cold for all the hungover kids to drag themselves out of bed after yesterday's madness). When we got home, I spent some quality time on the phone with Katie, whom I will see in only a couple of weeks!!

Post Katie, I ate my salad, watched the second half of the Florida State/Cincinnati game with Terry, and then packed up a bunch of book giveaways and wrote some emails and wrote a guest blog post and generally hated everything on my to-do list.....and break. I wrote all this at midnight, which was still a respectable time to go to bed; now it's almost one a.m., since there were several more things I realized that I needed to do, and time got away from me. Bleh. So now I must be off to bed; I'm training with Alyssa tomorrow, so I need all the sleep I can get. Goodnight!

No comments: