Saturday, March 31, 2012

carry me home tonight

I had way too lazy of a day...there are a million things I feel like I need to do, and when I'm in that mode, I often shut down and stop working entirely. Sadness. I didn't wake up until almost eleven, and then I messed around and made some breakfast (v. yummy eggs) before spending a couple of hours starting to proofread the final version of SCOTSMEN. I eventually had to put it aside, though, so that I could get ready and venture out into the evil city; there were three or four different things that I was invited to today, but I prioritized Lauren (aka Subz) and the trunk show she hosted for her sister's charity. The charity (anchalproject.org) sells quilts made in India to provide support for the women who make the quilts and also to raise money for improving women's lives (I can't explain it well, I'm too tired, and really, we all know they had me at quilt).

I went over to Lauren's around 4:30 and stayed until after seven, which was longer than I intended to stay (see: the need to proofread + my lack of desire to do anything productive). But Katrina came too, and it was all quite lovely, and I caught up with some of Lauren's other friends, as well as Lauren's mom. And I got some mehndi done (henna tattoos, for those of you who aren't down with the lingo) -- the mehndi artist was great. She mixed her own henna with black tea and other stuff, so the henna smells like spices rather than rotting vegetable matter, which makes me v. happy. And I got to hang out with Lauren, which always makes me happy. I was even happy when she and her sister (who is her identical twin, fyi) conducted a full-court press to get me to buy a quilt at the very end. I had been tempted by one earlier, but left it aside since I have like ten Indian bedspreads (and had told Lauren repeatedly that I certainly don't need any more Indian bedspreads). But Lauren knew exactly which one, of all of them, I would have been likely to buy, and she brought it over and draped it on me, and then Devon (the sister) talked it up too, and then they both looked at me, and then I said that they were like pushers offering drugs to a known addict, which made them laugh even as they knew they had me in their clutches. So I bought the damn thing, and it's gorgeous and is in support of a good cause, so I don't actually regret it -- but really, I need more bedding like I need a hole in the head. I know, I'm crazy.

Post relapse, I gathered up my quilt and came home, where Terry and I watched the end of the Ohio State/Kansas game, then ordered takeout Indian food (ironic, since one of the other plans I skipped would have involved Indian food, and Lauren was serving Indian food as well) and watched the finale of "Project Runway All Stars" from a couple of weeks ago, followed by "New Girl." And now I need to sleep, or proofread, or brainstorm the gargoyles, or answer the hundreds of emails that are piling up...really, the list is endless. Goodnight!

No comments: