Tuesday, March 13, 2012

it's everything i wish i didn't know...but you give me something i can feel

Today was absolutely blissful. I did sleep the sleep of the just last night after finishing SCOTSMEN, so hard that it was difficult to drag myself out of bed this morning. But I succeeded somehow, and I made it up in time to shower, camouflage my lack of sleep with the appropriate application of cosmetics from my closet of wonders, blow dry my hair (properly, not half-assedly like I usually do), and drive down to Mountain View for my Authors@Google talk. I got there in time to get set up to my liking, and Heather (aka dear respected madam -- and happy birthday!!) checked me in and got me upstairs. John and Can both helped carry books upstairs, which was super nice of them -- that's the benefit of having so many college friends who now work for the company, right?

Anyway, the talk went really well -- probably as well as I could have expected, really. The big boss interviewed me, which was really fun; she's a great interviewer/public speaker and we still have good rapport even after almost a year and a half of not working together (hard to believe), so I think the talk went well. And even if it didn't go well, the awesome green dress I got from Anthropologie last week made up for any poor speaking on my part. But all the feedback after was positive, and I had fun, so that's all that matters. It will go up on YouTube sometime soon and I'll post a link then so you can see for yourself. The talk turned into a sort of minireunion of old AdWorders, which I think was fun for everyone, and I sold and signed a bunch of books, which was fun for me. And after the talk, I had lunch with Gyre, Heather, and Will, which was super nice and a great way to end the event.

So yay to all of that, and thanks to all of you who came. Post event, I went to Philz and grabbed some coffee/sent some thankyou emails while the attendees were still fresh in my mind, then drove back to the evil city, where I worked for a couple of hours. Terry got home around 6:15, and we proceeded to drink a bottle of wine and watch some Project Runway (from weeks ago - I'm behind on all our shows, so we took some time tonight to start getting me caught up). Then, we rendezvoused with Lauren (aka Subz) for dinner at a French place near us, which turned into a super fancy outing -- we had a cheese course, then split a salad, and then our entrees were amazing (Terry had a burger, which I ate a bit of, and it was great; I had a cassoulet that was out of this world good; Lauren had chicken that I didn't try, but that also looked amazing). And I had a cocktail, and then Terry ordered me a glass of champagne to toast finishing SCOTSMEN, so I came home quite drunk and happy. It was a great end to a wonderful day, and a break I definitely needed.

And now that the talk is over and I've recuperated with friends, I should go to bed, pray that my hangover isn't too bad, and hit it hard with all the non-writing things on my to-do list tomorrow. This is the week for catching up on everything I've neglected for the past two months, so that I can start Ellie and Nick next week with a clear desk. Goodnight!

No comments: