Tuesday, March 06, 2012

shake rattle and roll

I was awoken most rudely this morning by an earthquake at 5:30am -- it wasn't large enough to knock anything over in the house, but it was an unwelcome reminder that I live in a v. seismically active state, near a fault that is due for a 7.0+ earthquake (the Hayward fault, which has historically ruptured every ~140 years, and whose last major earthquake was 144 years ago). Boo.

However, as soon as the shaking stopped this morning, I went back to sleep, and stayed asleep for another three hours. Then I got up, took care of some stuff, made some eggs for breakfast (yum), and then drove down to Palo Alto to train with Alyssa. I'm pretty sure she's trying to kill me, even if a jury would never convict her. Then I showered, had a salad for lunch, and was remarkably unproductive this afternoon; Alyssa and I are experimenting with my caffeine intake, and today I was supposed to try having no caffeine during the afternoon, which was an epic, epic fail. I had a snack at 2:30 instead, as instructed, and yet I spent the entire afternoon yawning and wandering around in a mental fog. But I finally broke and had coffee at four, which saved me, and I was right as rain the rest of the day.

So when I got some caffeine in me, I worked straight from 4:30 to 11:30, with a break for some Chipotle (and more caffeine). I'm so tantalizingly close to done with the edits -- maybe tomorrow will be the day. But I had to throw in the towel at 11:30 so I could drive back to the evil city, and then I procrastinated for a bit upon my arrival, and now I really should sleep. Tomorrow I have no plans but editing, so hopefully I will finish Malcolm and Amelia so I never have to see them again. Goodnight!

No comments: