Thursday, March 15, 2012

she said you're like a disease without any cure

First, a warning: at some point in the next few months, this blog is going away.

I know, tragic (or not tragic, if you never got why I write drivel here every night). However, all things come to an end. And while I don't want to end this and don't intend to stop blogging, I do have hopes that I will sell enough books to make a living for the rest of my life -- and if that happens, just about every author I know who's made it big has picked up a stalker along the way. I read MISERY at a v. young and impressionable age, and the last thing I want is to be trapped by some crazy woman who cuts off my finger and uses it as my birthday candle (I mean, I already escaped living with Adit -- how much more can I be expected to endure in one lifetime?).

And really, if you've read my blog for more than five days, it would be laughably easy to figure out my routines and patterns. I'm pretty sure if I asked any of you to name three places I eat regularly, or who my trainer is, or what neighborhood I live in, or the names of three people I hang out with, you'd have no trouble at all, even if you don't live in the city and have never been to any of these places yourself.

So. Option 1 is to lock this blog, give all regular readers the password, and continue as normal. But I don't know how easy/hard it is to hack into (I'm guessing somewhat easy for someone determined enough to want to turn my skin into a cape), and I don't know what remains in Google's cache forever after a blog is locked. Doing a Google search for a locked blog I know of turned up no results...so maybe that would work. But that would require asking everyone who reads this blog to sign up for an account, which would probably result in attrition.

Option 2 is to make this blog private only to me, then start a new blog whose address is shared with all current readers, but using code words for friends/places. That could be fun! It would be like a puzzle! But you'd still have to request access, since obvi I can't link between the two publicly, and you'd have to guess what the code words mean (unless I sent around a one-time key/glossary and trust that all y'all aren't trying to stalk me).

Option 3 is to delete this blog, start blogging fresh at sarawampler.com (which I've owned forever and done absolutely nothing with - it's a joke and an embarrassment), but blog there as though I know it's going to be public knowledge. Same as Option 2, I'd have to create code names for places/people. But what I would lose by having to be a bit more circumspect, I might gain in the long run if I ever write fiction under my real name and need to have an established web presence about something other than my champagne consumption and hermitville.

I don't know, friends! What do you vote for? If you're the one voting for me to get kidnapped by a stalker, please warn me so I don't invite you to the new blog!

In other news, today was a day full of productivity, with a lovely break to hang out with Tammy (aka Tammmmeh - I've already thought of a code name for her, but I won't share it yet). She was in town v. briefly and asked me at the last minute if I wanted to have lunch at Samovar, which I was more than happy to do. So we hung out for exactly two hours (the length of time I could park my car for free), and much fun was had even if she did grill me on the sex scenes in my book. Then I came home and slogged all afternoon/evening/night, with a v. brief break to watch some Craig and eat some leftover chili. My to-do list is ridiculously, appallingly long, and I'm trying to clear it in the next few days so that I can start writing Nick and Ellie next week. But it's going to be rough...and since I know it will be rough, I should probably get some sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: