Sunday, March 04, 2012

will you hose me down with holy water when i get too hot

I'm super sleepy -- between Alyssa's recommendations about cutting back on caffeine and the quarter-bottle of wine I had at dinner (definitely not one of Alyssa's recommendations), I think it's time for bed. Today was mostly all work; I didn't get up until 10:30 or so, but I took care of some stuff online before eventually showering and getting dressed in something other than sweats (you should be so proud). Then I made myself an excellent breakfast (scrambled eggs with green onions, red pepper, mushrooms, black olives, and cheese), made some coffee (don't tell Alyssa), and worked on SCOTSMEN all afternoon.

I should have kept working all night, but I had promised Terry I would go down to Stanford with her to see her youngest brother Kevin perform in a sketch comedy program. So we left the evil city around 5:45, drove down to the glorious south bay, picked up her brother Tom, and had dinner at Joanie's. Joanie's has a v. different crowd at dinner than they do at lunch, but the food is mostly the same, so I had my beloved cobb salad and the aforementioned wine (a syrah/something else blend that was really quite good). Then we went to Stanford and watched the show, which was actually really enjoyable -- I liked all the skits to varying degrees, and some of them were truly awesome. I did feel totally old, though, since the college kids looked like children. Also, they all seemed to know Nine Days's "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)"; I found it a little odd that the organizers were playing that song, since it't about twelve years old, which means that while I was at Stanford attending the Nine Days/Vertical Horizon concert put on one autumn, the kids who were at the show tonight were approximately seven years old and were possibly listening to it on the school bus. Gah.

But if I ignore how old I am, it was still fun. After the show was over, we congratulated Kevin, dropped Tom off, and came home, where I promptly worked for another hour and a half. And now I'm going to go to bed -- I want to read a book, but it's clearly not going to happen, and tomorrow needs to involve way more writing if I'm going to finish SCOTSMEN. Goodnight!

1 comment:

mahin said...

Give up caffeine? You?!?