Saturday, April 07, 2012

you didn't have to cut me off

I'm curled up in Katie and James's guest bed in Denver, which is v. lovely -- and a much better end to my day than the start was, given that I woke up thirty minutes before my 4:05am alarm because I had a nightmare that ended with a bunch of children stabbing me to death with sharpened spoons. Ugh. So I sort of laid in bed for a bit until the alarm went off, but the dream was too creepy to sleep any longer. Then I got out of bed, showered, etc., and left the house on time -- only to park my car and arrive at the terminal to discover a v. v. long line for check in. So long that I tried to use the curbside baggage check, and still waited there long enough that they came through the line and culled those of us on my flight so they could check the bags in time. Then I begged my way into the priority security line, and I made my Southwest flight in time to board in the A group as I was assigned, which means I scored a precious middle seat. As it turns out, I chose poorly, since I was across the aisle from a threesome of strangers who would not shut the fuck up the entire way, which was super annoying since I just wanted to sleep and instead was considering turning my dream into a reality, only in reality I would be wielding the sharpened spoons and they would be mourning their eviscerations.

I just took a deep breath...I'm back. Anyway, I landed in Denver and Katie and James picked me up at the airport. We proceeded to have a v. lovely day; we hung out at home for a bit while James helped me to mainline coffee, and then we went out for brunch/lunch at a really cute cafe, where I had possibly the best huevos rancheros variation I've ever had. Then we abandoned James and went to a Yves Saint Laurent exhibit at a museum in Denver, which was v. lovely and made both me and Katie feel quite acquisitive. We refrained from spending all of our hardearned money at the museum gift shop, however, and instead went for tea at a nearby teashop and spent an hour catching up on life.

By this point I was looking rather haggard (Katie was too polite to say it, but I sensed her trying to distance herself from my beatdown face), so we came home and I napped for half an hour. Properly refreshed, we went to a Cuban restaurant that was totally fantastic; the wait was half an hour, so I had two mojitos at the bar and another mojito at dinner, which, Katie and James rightfully pointed out, was a bold move given my airplane dehydration + the altitude here. But the food was amazing -- we split some arepas and some plantain chips, and then Katie and I split a steak entree and some paella that was some of the best paella I've had in recent memory. Then we came home and ended up watching "Revenge of the Nerds" after I said I'd never seen it before; I'm pretty sure that in this household, I would be the nerd, but I wear my shame proudly. And now, I really should sleep if I'm going to overcome my likely hangover + my sleep deprivation in time to be a good guest and greet my hosts pleasantly in the morning -- goodnight!

No comments: