Tuesday, May 08, 2012

las modelas are in the casa

I'm back in San Francisco for the next fourteen hours, which is sad because it's a) not Mexico and b) only fourteen hours before I get on another plane. However, the trip to Mexico was utterly worth any mild inconvenience I may suffer over having to turn around and leave immediately. This morning (after I blogged, of course; first things first) we had breakfast at the house, then went to the beach club for one last hour or two in the sun. As it turns out, none of us wanted to be in the sun given our varying degrees of burning -- no one got totally fried, but kayaking did a number on both me and Lauren's knees, and everyone except Chandlord (lucky bitch) had some amount of crispiness. So we hung out under the umbrellas, took a few photos, indulged in a final pina colada (doble, por supuesto), and enjoyed the last little bit of sand and surf before it was time to go home.

After we'd all showered and finished packing, Terry, Chandlord, Katrina and I said our sad goodbyes to Lauren (aka Subz, aka Zubisubz), who is staying on through Saturday. I'm not sure what was sadder -- that Lauren is alone tonight (Nathan is joining her tomorrow), that we had to say goodbye to her, or that we're all insanely jealous that she's still there and we're all back in San Francisco. Sigh. But the four of us got to the airport without incident, checked in (with some v. inefficient gate agenting going on, and some shady efforts to 'upgrade' our seats that would have resulted in Chandlord and I giving up seats together on the bulkhead for two middle seats several rows back), got to our gate, and paused while I ate a cheeseburger (sin pan) and fries. Katrina was on a different flight leaving twenty-two minutes earlier, so she had to abandon us, and then the rest of us boarded, settled in, and had an utterly uneventful flight back to San Francisco. I tried to prolong the afterglow with a Bailey's on the rocks, but that was about as sad as a cougar at a frat party, so I took a nap instead.

When we got to San Francisco, Katrina retrieved my car from long term parking while the rest of us were still disembarking/going through customs, and we came back to San Francisco, where our fellowship was broken. Then, Terry and I ordered a pizza and watched last night's episode of "The Voice" before I came upstairs to pack for Iowa. I'm almost done -- I need to do some last-minute things tomorrow, but I don't have to leave for the airport until 11:15, which feels positively civilized.

And now you can go back to your regularly scheduled reading without having to be jealous of my Mexico trip -- Iowa awaits, and while it's definitely worth being jealous of, I have a feeling the events that I'll be reporting on will be rather different than all the drinking and fun in the sun I was doing in Mexico (unless the miniature cows want to get their drink on -- I wonder whether fresh-from-the-cow milk would be good in a White Russian??). Goodnight!

No comments: