Wednesday, June 06, 2012

all night doctors

I didn't hit my wordcount goal today, but I broke 1000, so I don't feel too bad. I plan to hole up at Stanford library tomorrow and write until the cows come home, so hopefully I'll catch up on the words I missed.

Generally, the day was uneventful. I spent the morning taking care of some busy-work, and also ate breakfast (eggs and oatmeal) and made a cilantro lime vinaigrette that I've been meaning to try (verdict: not quite what I was looking for, but pretty tasty). Then I read the voting information for the California primary and walked over to my polling place to vote -- turnout looked really sparse, which was unfortunate, but at least I did my civic duty even if I didn't care about any of the issues or primary races. Then I walked to Fort Mason and worked for a bit in the empty cafe next to the Friends of SF Public Library used book store -- they're finally putting in a new cafe there, which is great news, but that meant that it currently smells funky and was a little too noisy (due to construction) for productivity. So I browsed the books quickly and showed significant restraint by only picking up two: a history book about the Barbary Coast pirates during the Renaissance, and Julia Quinn's latest book (not sure how it made it there this quickly, nor how it survived the Inquisition that seems to destroy all romance books on sight -- I haven't found a romance section there, and I'm admittedly a little ashamed to ask).

When I got home, I made a late lunch/early supper (a salad with the dressing I made earlier) and took care of some more work. Then I wrote until Terry came home, and we promptly watched last night's Daily Show, since Jon Stewart had some funny commentary about the Diamond Jubilee. Then we watched an hour of the approximately 18hrs of footage I tivo'd over the weekend, which was hysterically wonderful because the reporter (some dude for BBC America) who made this documentary about Queen Elizabeth was so fantastically dramatic and v., v. British. Then I came upstairs, spent some quality time readying envelopes with book giveaways to mail tomorrow, and wrote a bit more. And now I must sleep -- Ellie and Nick continue to be dark messes, but I'm rolling with it. Goodnight!

No comments: